• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Super Spacer Adjustment

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I often think of China machinery & tooling as "kits", unfinished tooling so to speak. My super spacer included. Before it was ok, now it's perfect in my eyes! Don't you just love when you make your tools work with your tools for your tools?

This is how I had to use my super spacer. Mounted on a piece of MIC plate. What I hated about it is that everytime I wanted to use the SS in the horiz position I had to remove the plate. Then when I wanted to use it in the vert position I had to remount the plate & reindicate. That started to become old very quick.

Img_8295_zps925bb9e4.jpg

This was the problem, in the vert position the slots on my table would not line up with the SS's slots & is why I had to use the plate. As you can see the slots are not narrow enough for my table.

Img_9696.jpg

Img_9694.jpg

So I set out to fix that. I don't have any angle plates large enough to hold the SS, well I don't have any at all yet. But I did have some thick pieces of AL flat bar laying around so I decided to make some & see how well it would do. I only milled the mounting & mating surfaces. Wasn't sure what to expect at this point.

20140901_135531.jpg

Img_9718.jpg

Img_9722.jpg

Ok, time to dial it in. Didn't need to be that perfect for what I'm doing so close enough would have been fine. First I indicated to be parallel with the table's surface. About .0001", ok I'm happy with that.

Img_9701.jpg

Then I dialed in the X axis, about .0002", ok I can live with that, snug everything down.

Img_9704.jpg

Next I checked to see that the key slot matched. Yes it did.

Img_9711.jpg

Finally I wanted to check the Y axis to see how far off my AL angle plates were. About 1 thou, I just trammed the mill last week (tilt & nod) so not bad, I can live with that. Ok, now on to a bit of milling.

Img_9715.jpg

The slot was about .73" wide. I didn't want to widen it anymore by going through it with a 3/4" endmill. The next size smaller I had was a 5/8" which is what I decided to use. The largest bolts I use with my table are 1/2" so 5/8" is good enough for me. I use M12 for the SS anyway.

Img_9734.jpg

Img_9742.jpg

Next I needed to face the top side for the nuts (well bottom with the way it's mounted). I made a boring bar to be used in reverse like a fly cutter. I don't have any broaches yet & I didn't feel like trying to make a square hole by broaching on the lathe. A round hole with a screw is good enough for this. I set the cutter at 5° & put a larger nose radius on it.

Img_9637.jpg

Img_9779.jpg

Img_9749.jpg

Img_9750.jpg

Now I am able to use the slots & mount the SS directly to the table without that annoying plate. I made the slots wider than needed for different table sizes if/when I get a new mill. Ok, not really, I miscalculated & overshot my mark but I compensated when facing so it's still perfectly fine.

Img_9759.jpg

Img_9768.jpg

Img_9773.jpg

I'm not a fan of using locating keys with my vises but for the SS I decided to try using them. Sometimes I'll dial in the SS, start milling, then decide I want to use the tailstock. A few times I didn't mount the SS very center on the table & the tailstock would not line up (I use the keys on it). The keys for the SS are 5/8" & my table slots are 14mm. I milled them a tad bit undersize to allow for indicating.

Img_9679.jpg

Img_9688.jpg

Dial the chuck back in. I already "rebuilt" the chuck & SS internals when I first got it.

Img_9785.jpg

Now to check for nod. Oh, very nice, with the unmilled plate I used to get a thou & a 1/2 using the same bar at the same distance. I can't ask for better than that!

Img_9789.jpg

Img_9792.jpg

And finally, I added another point of reference. Not sure what this was for but it came with my lathe. The 0 mark is on the backside of the SS, I like to use the SS on the left side of the table so this makes it easier for me when I need a quick reference & not having to look on the back. I clocked it at 90° from 0.

Img_9796.jpg

Now I'm Super happy with my Super spacer! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

kd4gij

Active User
Re: Super Spacer (Indexer) Adjustment

Nice job and it makes life easer. :thumbsup:

PatMiles

Active User

Damn fine job!

Pat

Stonebriar

Active User

Good deal. And I like that light you added to your quill. There is never anything blocking the light from there.

I need some kind of indexer. What brand and size is your SS? I am still undecided on a SS or Dividing Head. I have been eyeing the dividing head Matt has on his site, but I just don't know.

Rick

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member

Good deal. And I like that light you added to your quill. There is never anything blocking the light from there.

I need some kind of indexer. What brand and size is your SS? I am still undecided on a SS or Dividing Head. I have been eyeing the dividing head Matt has on his site, but I just don't know.

Rick
Actually things like my ER chuck & drill chuck will block light from the spindle light. I use it in addition to my machine's light. But it does make a difference & I really like it.

Not sure of an actual brand, just the Chinese manufacture's name. It's the same thing as a Phase II only less expensive, same with my two tail stocks. It's a 6" but it's actually 6.5". I wish it was an actual 6" & sometimes I wish I had a 5" but I've never seen an Asian import in that size.

It weighs like 80 lbs & is why I wish it was smaller but I'm used to it now. I was originally going to get a super indexer (super spacer & rotary table combined). I decided it would be too big & much too heavy so I decided to go with a SS instead & I'm glad I did. I ended up getting a separate rotary table.

Super spacers & dividing heads are different, each have their own advantage. A diving head can do what a SS can do but slower. A SS can't really do what a dividing head can do. For what I do a SS is more useful to me.

[6]
[5] [7]