• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Super Tenere Rack

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Jim2

Active User
I bought a new Yamaha Super Tenere this spring. Wife won't ride without a backrest, and I like having a top-case anyway. So, bought a sizable one that will double as a backrest, but what to mount it on? Stock rack is plastic and not very durable, was concerned that aftermarket wouldn't be that much better, and have already spent too many $$$. I came up with this

YamS10Rack-003_zps9tdcmxzt.jpg

Yamaha doesn't make it easy. They've got the mounting locations in two different planes, plus a bushing/spacer that needs to be in place to secure the plastic covering on the tail. Here's what it looks like as I was mounting it on the bike.

IMG_5653_zpslb8udxpd.jpg

IMG_5654_zpsl9vyz2v4.jpg

IMG_5655_zpsfolkdzyi.jpg

IMG_5658_zpss4p1hj4f.jpg

And, with top-case in place

IMG_5659_zpsimzwnhh6.jpg

I am very pleased with how it turned out. Wife still hasn't been on the bike, though!

Jim

newbydave

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I bought a new Yamaha Super Tenere this spring. Wife won't ride without a backrest, and I like having a top-case anyway. So, bought a sizable one that will double as a backrest, but what to mount it on? Stock rack is plastic and not very durable, was concerned that aftermarket wouldn't be that much better, and have already spent too many $$$. I came up with this

YamS10Rack-003_zps9tdcmxzt.jpg

Yamaha doesn't make it easy. They've got the mounting locations in two different planes, plus a bushing/spacer that needs to be in place to secure the plastic covering on the tail. Here's what it looks like as I was mounting it on the bike.

IMG_5653_zpslb8udxpd.jpg

IMG_5654_zpsl9vyz2v4.jpg

IMG_5655_zpsfolkdzyi.jpg

IMG_5658_zpss4p1hj4f.jpg

And, with top-case in place

IMG_5659_zpsimzwnhh6.jpg

I am very pleased with how it turned out. Wife still hasn't been on the bike, though!

Jim
Both the design and machining look awesome.

jeff_g1137

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I am very pleased with how it turned out. Wife still hasn't been on the bike said:
Hi
That can be a good thing, time on your own, the bike go's faster & there is no pain in the side, from her digging you to slow down. :D

[6]
[5] [7]