Super Totally Awesome Flycutter Bit Grind

Ox Tool (Youtube) just did a video series on flycutter grinding. The grind he used looks a lot like the one JGedde posted.

[video=youtube;tCrJVYF95aE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCrJVYF95aE&feature=share&list=UUZC9LGZLfyjrKT4OZne-JNw[/video]

The really cool thing is he takes test cuts after each stage of the grind, to show what effect it has on the finish.

Aluminum cutters generally have a cutting edge similar to the one shown. It is indeed a chip breaker grind because it twists chips so much they break into little curled,short chips. This is exactly what must be had for use in lathes like CNC,where large amounts of chips are made,and must be small so they will be carried away on the built in belt that removes chips. Long,curled chips are not desirable in modern machining. Indeed,in the late 19th. C.,it was thought that lathes had reached their maximum practical cutting rates because the volume of long,stringy chips would become unmanageable if the lathes ran much faster. Then,someone invented this simple,practical chip breaker cutting tool. It works in steel,too.

I had an "Octo Mill"(I think that's what it was called) at work. It had octagonal inserts with cutting edges like the chip breaker bit shown. It was for aluminum,and cut like crazy,leaving a very smooth,polished surface(not a MIRROR surface,mind you),on aluminum. The inserts were Titanium nitride coated,too.

That is a mighty fine grind. What kind of wheel did he have? Diamond? I don't think you could get that with a green wheel. It would end up too mushie I would think.

I agree I don't think a green wheel could do a nice grind like it. I am impressed, nice tool bit.

At what angle do you present that to the work? It looks like it will be fairly flat with the angle of the fly cutter.

I have never had any luck grinding a fly cutter bit. I guess I'll have to stick to a face mill. LOL

Pat
HSS left hand bits that I grind myself is what I use and it works. Just basic textbook angles ground on a Sears gray wheel.

Back