Superior Duplex Milling Machine

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I found a screaming deal on CL for a milling machine.
this is one of the odd type of machines i like.
it has twin spindles and is made for production work.
the Knee and Spindles are independently raised and lowered.
there is provision for the twin spindles to be positioned in unison or separately to accommodate different size work and operations .

May i introduce you all to Beth,
i gave her a quick once over and plugged her into 230v, 3 phase and she fired off no problem.
i even got lucky to have the drive motor's rotation correct!!!:headscratch:

she runs very smoothly. you can't tell by the pictures but the machine still has a lot of the original scraping visible on the knee's ways
and the vertical ways also show a lot of original hand scraping too!

Superior 1.jpg the milling table X axis is operated by the large 4 spoked handwheel. it's travel is about 14" lock to lock
Superior 2.jpg arrowed left are the 2 spindles. the spindle Z axis is raised and lowered manually. they can be raised at the same time or one or the other at a time.

Superior 3.jpgarrowed left is the driveshaft for the spindles. both spindles turn the same direction without provision for mechanical disconnect.
In other words, if the machine is running, the spindles are turning
Superior 4.jpg the second op vise is adjustable in the direction superimposed with arrows. it is a vise for work holding. it can grab fairly large work and can be positioned at variable places upon the secondary X axis with the long studs that capture the vise body upon it's pedestal.
the acme threads are 8TPI,
the handle is removeable.
the vise provides a semi-quick release and tighten for objects of similar dimensions in a production run, i would surmise.

the machine performed slitting operations as it's last duty.
i surmise this could be quite useful in days to come.

i'll add more interesting facts to this thread as i learn them.
if you have experience or information on this machine i would like to hear from you!
thank you for reading and participating

Superior 1.jpg Superior 2.jpg Superior 3.jpg Superior 4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Superior Dual Spindle Milling Machine

Neat machine. I love those old machines. Any Idea what vintage?
Looks like it is in great shape for how old it must be.

Hi rgray,
thank you, i'm glad you like it!
i really don't know anything about this milling machine.
it appears to be early 50's:dunno:, she could be deceptively older...
i had never seen one before.
i have started research but have not found a lot of information yet.
the machine is fully functional and needs some clean up.
i plan to try my hand at biax scraping this milling machine before moving on to other scraping projects.
i figure if i totally mess things up, at least i didn't spend a lot for the victim.
thank you for reading and commenting.

mike:))

Last edited:
Thanks Don!!!
that's the nicest thing that has ever been said to me!!!!

:biggrin:

just wait to see what else i got form the former owner...
you will not believe it i assure you, but that will be another thread:))

Last edited:

I really like that nut cracker, err large table handle :)

A stunner! Once again, congratulations Mike!

A serious-looking, solid, robust machine. Love the twin heads and tables and the capstan handwheel.

Look forward to seeing her after some TLC.

congrats! I've seen that on CL for a while, so it's great that someone on here has picked it up and for a really good price. I'm a bit confused about the upper spindle and that funky riser vise - how's that all supposed to work?

Great find Mike thanks for posting it.

congrats! I've seen that on CL for a while, so it's great that someone on here has picked it up and for a really good price. I'm a bit confused about the upper spindle and that funky riser vise - how's that all supposed to work?

Thank you everyone
and thank you too matt!
i think i stole it for the price :))
the spindles can hold an arbor type milling machine cutter and/or slitting saw blade in either/or both spindles.
not unlike a horizontal milling machine, sans the overarm arbor support.
you can mount items on the secondary table, between the moveable vise jaw and the table. the vise jaw is actuated by means of a large acme threaded stop collar on the end of the secondary table, that is opposing the spindle side.
a handle is inserted into the stop that has a series OD holes every 20* or so, for means to tighten the collar against the intended work. with the work held in the vise , the work could be milled , slotted, or slitted as required.

it would be possible to perform operations on 2 separate work pieces for fast production,( 1 on the main table and 1 in the secondary vise).

i'll try to elaborate with pictures or a video in the upcoming weeks so that you and others may get a little more insight.

Last edited:
Back