Superior Duplex Milling Machine

Hello Mike and Happy New Year to you... :)

That is one neat looking machine.... nothing that I've ever heard of... It's difficult to estimate it's size from the pics. What's the table size and estimated weight of the machine ?

Cheers... :)

Brian

Hi Brian,
thank you for the compliment!!
the machine is 5' 6" tall, 4' wide, 3' deep
primary table is 7" x 22"
secondary vise extends to hold work 6" thick
the mill weighs an estimated 1000 lbs, it's very solid. (Edit- Manufactured weight 900 lbs less drive motor)
thanks for reading!
Happy New Year to you too!!!
Cheers,
mike:))

Last edited:
Re: Superior Dual Spindle Milling Machine

I was thinkin if it's not 100+ years old it's close.

If it was 100 years old, wouldn't it have been driven via a lineshaft and flat belt setup? The electric motor on this machine looks pretty integral to the design.

I claim no expertise on this though...

there were flat belt versions of this very machine, they are pictured in the American Machinist volume #56 (1922).
at this point, i'm guessing my machine was made in the late 1920's, possibly early 30's. but i have no proof of this.

any information from the readers would be greatly appreciated.

mike:))

Last edited:

One of the things I love about old machines is exploring their history - as far as one can, at any rate.

I agree totally! Sadly I only managed to go back as far as a tattoo artist with my lathe, further back is a mystery :(

Matt -

There's something wonderful about mystery, too.

I have a lovely American horizontal mill of obscure make ('Wisconsin') which is about 100 years old and was deposited in England under unclear circumstances during WW2. No further information is forthcoming. I kind of like that.

But maybe the history of your lathe is tattooed on the arm of a sailor somewhere...perhaps currently in a house of ill-repute in Singapore or Shanghai... :)

Back