[Newbie] Supermax 1666, metal lathe, at auction?

farmerken82

Registered
Registered
Are you folks generally wary of auction-purchased items? There is a Supermax metal lathe that came out of a VoTech center (highschool and college kids learned on it) with no tooling and a four jaw chuck coming up for auction relatively close to me and was wondering if those are solid machines and if parts are still available? My dad would have to buy it as I can't leave the farm to look at it, so it'll mostly be sight unseen. Crazy, I know. I have no lathe though and the options in NW Montana are limited. Am I better off to pass it up for one I can inspect? Thanks, Kenny

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

SuperMax is just a name that was slapped on some pretty nice import machines. I would count on no parts, but you could likely buy parts for a very similar machine if you can figure out which one that would be. For sight unseen with no tooling I would figure double scrap price, its you taking the risk, so price accordingly. As a friend of mine said to me when I was first buying machines, " There is always another machine".

I cannot imagine bidding on a machine that I have not even looked at, much less vetted. The last thing I need is a big chunk of ugly scrap metal sitting around in the way. I suggest you do your due diligence or let it go and wait for something you are pretty sure you will be happy with.

Back