Sure is quiet in here...

Morgan RedHawk

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Anyone made any progress setting up new machines, or made anything cool with them lately? I got my 1236 up on the stand...still haven't had time to finish setting it up or post up some pics yet. Yall put up some pics, if you have some new ones.. and here is a couple to get things started.

Pallet Murder (carefully braced on either side of the headstock to prevent tipping)
DSC08504.jpg

Sliders from my favorite store. They made moving the base easier..but not easy.
DSC08508.jpg

I made sure I stayed the hell out of the way.
DSC08516.jpg

Pulling the stand under the lathe..still staying the hell out of the way.
DSC08517.jpg

Mostly done! (for now)
DSC08523.jpg

DSC08516.jpg DSC08517.jpg DSC08523.jpg DSC08504.jpg DSC08508.jpg

Congrats on the new lathe!

Nothing new around here. You've probably seen my lathe project, but that's paused to make larger jaws for my wood lathe's four jaw scroll chuck. Making them sorta in this style: http://www.borouz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jaws_14.jpg

Going to make some wood bowls for moms birthday, thankfully I have a few months so I'm not rushing. Anybody interested in woodturning here?

Did you just receive yours or have you had it for a while and just getting around to setting it up?

Good to see you have yours set up. Now lets see some chips.

I am just waiting on my Precision Mathews 1340GT and 935TV then I will be blowing this place up with pictures as I have a lot of work I have committed to once they are up and running.

I also have a few things that I want to machine for the new equipment and shop but I will have to squeeze them in between other client work.

My wife even joked with me saying she knows she won't see me for a while and I will be putting in some late nights playing with the new "toys".:thumbsup:

Mike.

My machine (1440BV) keeps on spitting out chips, no drama. I did see how much metal I could remove in a single pass the other day just out of curiosity, the feed clutch starts slipping at .200 DOC/.400 OD on mild steel, unknown alloy, with a freshly ground and honed HSS bit. The machine wasn't straining, it simply slipped the feed clutch. I have change gears in for the last threads I cut and I suspect if I swap the top gear from 60T to 30T it will hog off more metal before slipping since that will allow a lower feed rate.

Congrats on the new lathe!

Nothing new around here. You've probably seen my lathe project, but that's paused to make larger jaws for my wood lathe's four jaw scroll chuck. Making them sorta in this style: http://www.borouz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/jaws_14.jpg

Going to make some wood bowls for moms birthday, thankfully I have a few months so I'm not rushing. Anybody interested in woodturning here?

Yeah, used to do quite a bit of it on my Sagar lathe. Mostly from "found" wood (lots of fruit trees, big hedge species like holly, etc round here) which is really quite gorgeous lots of times. Still have the lathe but don't do much on it anymore. But I still really like it -- I always tell people it's one of the few machines in the shop you can just doodle on!

-frank

Looks great redhawk! Mine (pm1236) is setup and running, but not many projects yet. Made lots of chips while getting a feel for it though. I've made a couple small things, will post pics sometime tomorrow. Practiced a lot of threading with the metric setup just so I'll be accustomed to it if ever needed. Also worked on my 4j getting it right, just having fun. Now the fun starts for you, start making chips!

Edit: I've also started grinding some of my own tools. I started out with indexables, learned what a tool is supposed to do, and have ground a couple of my own for special purposes. Luckily the two I have ground work pretty good, though I know they're not perfect. I'll post pics of those as well.

Richard

Just waiting on you to give up close up shots and info on that DRO :whistle:

Andre, Thats a nice lookin bowl. I have been thinking about getting a wood lathe eventually. I only ever got to play with one once, but it was sure fun! Like Frank says, you can have fun doodling on them..

I have had the 1236 longer than I should to have just got it on the stand. I am in school and work, so it took me a little over a month to get it up there. In the mean time, however, I did manage to get it mostly cleaned, so it should be ready to start making chips as soon as I get it leveled up. Luckily, one of our clients at work is a huge scrap yard, and the owner said I could take whatever bits I wanted to practice with. I told him I just needed to "borrow" some scraps and I would bring them back in little baggies when I was done with em.

Mike, yeah man, post em up! I love lookin at yalls pics. All the pics and write ups made lifting my lathe onto the stand pretty easy. They also made my decision as to which lathe would be right for me and easier one.

I have been practicing grinding various tool shapes, as well. They seem to look like the examples from Tubalcain's videos...soon I will see how good a job I am really doing. Richard, are you using one of those green wheels? I have just been using the standard wheels that comes with the grinder, but have been thinking about trying one of the other types.

The DRO is the standard Eason ES-8A that PM offers. I had Matt and crew install it. It seems pretty nice, has sin, cos, tan, square root calculations on it and can do some other things. I will post up a close up for you this weekend.

Well I got my pm1640 in today! unfortunately, I'm missing a couple of key parts. IE: 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Other than that its beautiful!:))

Bob

317.jpg 318.jpg

Well I got my pm1640 in today! unfortunately, I'm missing a couple of key parts. IE: 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Other than that its beautiful.

Bob

Wow, that thing is a beast. Congrats on the new arrival. Can I ask once you were told it was being shipped, how long did it take to arrive?

Mike.

Back