Surface Drum Sander Build

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I will be building a 10" wide surface sander mostly from pieces and materials in my shop. I have checked several different machines and down loaded the owner manuals to get some ideas. It will be open ended so you can sand 20" wide by turning the part around and running it through again.
I have a 3/4hp 1725 rpm motor that will be direct coupled to the drum. This power unit will be raised and lowered by a hand crank and using linear bearings.
I am making this as I go long so no drawings or sketches.

First the drum assembly
I have a piece of 3" 40 schedule steel pipe that I will use for the drum and two round steel disks. The disks were something I picked up out of the trash many years back and thought I can use them for something someday. The shaft is 30mm because I have the shaft and some bearings to fit. What I have in the shop will determine how it ends up. I will need to buy some materials and parts but I like to use what I have.

I bored the disks to fit the shaft and added a set screw in each. I turned down the outside of the disks to just fit inside the drum and welded them in place.
Next to the lathe to true up the outside of the drum.

Drum completed and inside painted.

The bearing retainers were turned from some mystery steel chunks out of the scrap bin.

Here they are painted with the bearings fitted and the holes drilled and tapped.

And on the drum.

That's all for now.
Thanks for looking
Ray

I built a 26" wide drum sander about 30 years ago. Still have it in my shop and still use it. 5hp main motor with a 1/4hp geared motor driving the conveyor belt.

This build is off to a great start......I'll am "watching" it.
Thanks for sharing it!
-brino

More progress

Made a bracket for the upper motor support, cleaned up and painted the motor.

The Love Joy coupling came in so I assembled the head assembly and ran it up.

Ran nicely but getting some noise from the Love Joy no matter how I adjusted the motor. I think I will order a softer rubber coupling and see if that helps. It's not terrible but I would like it quieter.

Thanks for the comments all

Ray

Latinrascalrg1 I received a set of these to allow the main assembly to move up and down smoothly. The height adjustment is taking shape in my head and will be a threaded rod of some sort but not nailed down yet.

This caused a engineering change to the motor mount plate as there was not enough room for the linear bearings. One of the joys of designing on the go as to say. I had to shorten the square mounting bracket and cut slots in the motor mount plate. I now have two holes that won't be used.

Bearing blocks test fitted.

Thanks for looking

Ray

Ok after seeing how you have the linear bearings mounted i see the direction it is moving, Keep up the Nice work :clapping:

Back