Surface Drum Sander Build

Getting close to the end of the build.
Fabricated a hinged cover for the drum area, made 2 brass hold down thumb screws, and installed the vacuum port.

GEDC3979.JPG

GEDC3981.JPG

Big problem, the 6 spoke hand wheel I had installed won't work because I can't open the lid.
So off with the old and make a new elevation handle with one spoke.

GEDC3984.JPG

Polished up the aluminum covers some and here it is ready for work.

GEDC3986.JPG

There will probably be some issues as time goes on and I may have to redesign parts of the sander but overall I am happy with the way it turned out.
I will be getting some sandpaper in different grits that has the hook and loop already installed as I can see a problem starting with the glue not holding the hook and loop to the sandpaper.

Thank each and everyone of you for the kind words and sticking with me during the build.
Thanks for looking
Ray

Now what to make next?

Run some aluminum through it!!!
Project of the month.
Robert

Robert I hear you and I gave it a try today.
I had a old abused piece of aluminum that I got from somewhere and have been cutting pieces off of. Normally I would have ran this on the mill with a surface miller to clean it up first. The surface is really in poor shape and some places are eaten away and others stick up over 0.100 but I thought what the heck I will give it a try.

GEDC3989.JPG

This is as far as I got before the sandpaper was used up but I was impressed what it actually did. I used 100 grit paper and had to stop several times to cool the aluminum so I could hold it. If I would have used a coarser grit first and then the 100 grit it probably would have worked better.

GEDC3990.JPG GEDC3992.JPG

It did leave a nice brushed look but maybe should have been coarser.

Thanks for looking

Ray

Great project Ray!

I'm definitely putting this on the "get to" list. I would love to have a drum sander for my woodworking, but the price is hard to justify.

Back