Surface Finish Issues On 12x36 (long Post) + Kb Electronics Vfd Install

Muskt

Home Shop Tinkerer
Registered
I have a couple of problems, and I now submit them to the group. I shall attempt to thoroughly explain the problem and my methodology. Please be patient.

First, the obligatory disclosure: I have not contacted Matt, or QMT. I am not upset. I am not PO'd. I just want to get it fixed.

There, I feel better already.

Next, a bit about me. I am not a complete machining rookie, nor an expert. I consider myself to be somewhat of an advanced amateur. I used a Grizz 9x20 for 10+ years, and this PM 12x36 for just over a year. I also have a PM 932 mill.

OK, on to the problems.

I have never been totally satisfied with the surface finish obtained with this 12x36. I have used CRS, HRS, 6061, Brass, Bronze, 1144, & 12L14. What is wrong with the finish?--It generally looks as though the material has been very very lightly hammered with a tiny ball-pien hammer.

I have used Carbide inserts, Brazed Carbide, & HSS tooling.

I have several TCGT inserts which (with the 9x20) provided nearly mirror finish on Aluminum and also the 12L14. The finish retains the hammered appearance on Aluminum on my 12x36. HSS tooling is not wonderful, either. I will freely admit that my tool grinding skills are not the best--although, good enough (in most instances) to get by with.

So, I started investigating. The first thing I did was to observe the belts with the guard removed--please do not tell the safety Nazis. The 2 belts were not tensioned evenly. I checked the alignment of the motor pulley to the input pulley and made small a adjustment. No improvement. I removed both belts (one was way too loose) and obtained 2 new Gates belts--No change. One of the new belts is also a bit too loose. I removed the loosest belt and rechecked the alignment--hammered appearance was better, but not yet right. Next, I obtained some of the Link Belting and created one to fit. Better again, but still not good enough.

I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated.

I put the DTI (B&S--0.0005) on the spindle taper & hand rotated the spindle--No perceptible movement. This should eliminate a spindle bearing issue.

Next, I put the DTI on the machined surface of the motor pulley--Very little (almost none) movement. This should eliminate a motor issue.

Next, I put the DTI on the machined surface of the input pulley---Whoa--High to Low = 0.006. Further, I can easily deflect that pulley further with gentle hand pressure. I know someone will ask, so here is how I set up the indicator.

As you face the lathe on the gear train end (looking toward the tailstock), the DTI pointer is in the machined (belt) groove at the 9 o'clock position--with the pointer oriented parallel to the indicator (vertical). If I grasp the pulley at the 9 & 3 position and push-pull (not in & out) the indicator will change about an additional 0.003. In-out movement is non-existant. Up-down movement is non-existant (I repositioned the indicator).
Oh yes, I did remove the pulley to check the input shaft for variations or bending, & found none. All of the rotating was done via the motor pulley (by hand) with the belt still in place. I now suspect that the input pulley is not correctly machined. The machined surfaces where the belt runs are very rough (like sandpaper), too. All 4 grooves in the input pulley exhibit nearly the same amount of wobble.

So, what say you? Do you think that the 0.006 of wobble on the input pulley could cause the hammered appearance that I have described?

Since I cannot re-machine the pulley on this lathe (my only one), I will need to either contact Matt for a replacement or proceed to the next step, below.

Before I get too terribly involved in a repair, I am considering a toothed belt and pulley system to replace the current system. Is this a good or bad idea? If a good idea where would be a good source for the replacements?

I realize that this has been exceedingly long. I thank you for your patience.
Jerry in Delaware

Hi Jerry, I just happened to be on here now. Any way you can post a picture of the finish? I would say that the link belt pretty much eliminated it being that pulley, since they float pretty well in any groove, .006 seems like a lot to a machinist, but it really isnt that much (Although I would prefer .0005 on everything like that) But if was that, I THINK that the link belt would have made it go away,if it was from the way it rides in the groove, the link belt would have eliminated that. Just for the heck of it, we can try another pulley, but I don't think thats it. I am only 99% sure, not 100%, but I just do not think that would be it. If you can post a picture, or even a video of it cutting, that might help a lot.

Sorry to hear about the phone problems, Matt. I hope you get it fixed soon.

Here is a still of a piece of 6061 that I just cut.
It is approximately 7/8 in diameter. Ran at 700RPM and the finest (0.002) feed rate. The cut was with the TCGT insert.
The roughness is small, but plainly visible in the reflections of the lights.
DSCN2894.JPG

Oh, nearly forgot. Thanks for the response, Matt.

Jerry in Delaware

Forgive my butting in, but this doesn't look like a ISV (instantaneous speed variation) issue like a wobbling belt or bad pulley. This looks more like the tool is moving ever so slightly, making what appears to be 'flats' in the finish. Or I could be absolutely full of it and have been staring at your picture too long... :D

No problem, Bill. Any/all ideas gladly accepted.
I get similar results with HSS, also
I checked the compound for looseness--none. The gibs on the cross slide are snug, also.
I have not checked the rack or any of the apron items--hoping for an easier fix.

Jerry in Delaware

Yea, I figured you checked the tool/holder/compound as I would have checked those as well. The worst case scenario would be flex/looseness in the saddle or apron. Or feed screw?

Question: Does the finish change when manually feeding vs. power feeding?

I cannot say that I have ever observed closely a hand-feeding scenario. I shall go out to the shop & try. Should be back in less than 10 minutes.

Jerry in Delaware

Did a hand-feed cut without changing anything--No perceptible difference.
While out there, I also checked all of the rack bolts for tightness, and the 4 apron bolts--All tight.

Jerry in Delaware

Well that's that. :(

Rethinking my earlier comment, I'll walk back my comment about ISV not contributing to this because I started wondering what effect ISV would have on cutter loading, etc.. It's possible ISV is causing tool flex, i.e., putting those little 'flats' in the workpiece. I'll be honest and say I've never seen something like this, but then I'm no expert in anything.

Thanks, Bill.
If/when I get it figured out, I will definitely post here.
I anticipate more responses, and am completely open to suggestions.

Jerry in Delaware

Back