Surface grind vise jaws

seanb

Registered
Registered
I have cleaned up a bridgeport milling vice and would like to get the vise jaws cleaned up.

Will pay let me me know cost

How badly are they nicked up? How much will need to be removed?

Probably the best thing to do would be contact local grind shop and have them do it, taking the shipping out of the equation. Or maybe contact local community college and see if they would take it on for skill project for one of their students. If it were for a Kurt vise I would say just order new jaws from MSC, they are usually on sale in flyer and are likely as cheap as a regrind would cost you in job shop.

Let's see a picture of them. If they are not too bad, I'll do them
Randy

Here’s 2 pics best I can tell marks are no deeper than .025
Not sure if that’s too much or not. I have no experience with grinding

C7F1BD4B-0A73-4EF5-B42C-5B707D358729.jpeg

77632254-A399-4C49-B42A-FBFC4CE0540E.jpeg

Are the other sides better? If so, you can turn them over. Removing those grooves may take some time because they are deep, and may make them warp due to heat treating stresses that will be changed on only one side.

mcmaster has 4140 ground prehard. saw, square, drill...

My BP 6" vise came to me without jaws. I made some from 1/2" mild steel about 5+ years ago and they still work just fine. I finished them with the jaws in place and the vise mounted on the mill. Used a larger carbide end mill with long enough flutes to cut the faces in one light finish pass. Just need to watch for stuff getting pressed into the metal and keep them dressed clean. I use my precision ground flat stones for that. If and when they ever get too dinged up, I have more 1/2' bar stock on hand to make more...

Randy offered to grind them so i will give that a try, if they warp i will try making my own from some prehard like CG285 suggested

Randy offered to grind them so i will give that a try, if they warp i will try making my own from some prehard like CG285 suggested
If you use prehard, or anything cold rolled, try not to reduce the thickness or it might warp.

Back