surface grinder coolant

promaster60

Registered
Registered
I just got my 10" x 14" covel hydr surface grinder ready to use, except for the coolant, which is the best for a hobby shop and can i put a block heater in the tank to stop it from freezing ! I heat with wood Thanks

I'm interested in the response you get. I'm just getting my SG going. I probably won't use a lot, so it ought to have a good tank life.

Grinder coolant, it prevents rusting at a very low concentration, like 100:1 and it is clear. Cimcool had one called Cimplus; probably like everything has been renamed after the nitrosamine scare.

I use Kool-Mist 77 out of a Chinese mister unit, available for less than $15 delivered. It works fine. If you can handle the mess, flood coolant will work better. Soluble oil is the common choice.

Soluble oil makes an oily sloppy mess. Best to use a clear non oil based coolant.

I use a clear coolant with a mister, Kool Mist 77. However, many very good grinder hands are using flood white coolant in their shops, and say they would not use anything else. I have never used soluble oil or flood coolant. My lathe has the pump and piping from the factory, but it seems like way too much of a mess to me, so it is still new and unused. On a surface grinder, flood coolant would really help to keep the grit in the air down, but at the price of having a coolant mess everywhere.

If a grinder is equipped for flood coolant, there is little or no mess, and a lot less stuff in the air that we breathe.

Back