Surface grinder diamond dresser

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
When I got my surface grinder it had two diamond dressers in the cabinet. One is a single point alittle worn but pointing straight up. The block has a angle on it which might be for dressing a specific angle??? Then the second is a cluster of diamond on one rod and again perpendicular or the same able as the other.
I've seen videos on dressing the wheel and every one I can remember had the point at a 15* angle from perpendicular and slightly behind center. So can anyone give me some info on these types that I have? Just curious?
image.jpegimage.jpeg

The reason for the 15 deg. angle is so the dresser is not blunted by repeated dressings, you are supposed to rotate the diamond in the holder occasionally to keep a sharp edge presented to the grinding wheel.

The reason for the 15 deg. angle is so the dresser is not blunted by repeated dressings, you are supposed to rotate the diamond in the holder occasionally to keep a sharp edge presented to the grinding wheel.
Yes thanks I had known about rotating the diamond. I was just curious of the included angle on both blocks in the picture?

The only thing I can come up with is to dress the side of wheel or to create angles on peripheral?

I see no real purpose for the extra angles. Effort was put into making them that way, and I confess to having no idea what they might be for. Your description of the normal setup was spot on. I have seen recommended angles from vertical for the diamond between 10 to 15 degrees (so I use 12.5 degrees... 8^)

Cadillacs idea that the added angle is used to side dress a wheel makes sense to me. This is the setup I've used to side dress a dish wheel.

grinder a.jpg

I feed the wheel up and down to get a face perpendicular to the chuck. I couldn't find info on the orientation of the dressing point for this application. I tried this, and it worked.

Attachments

• grinder a.jpg.html
    193 bytes · Views: 168
  • grinder a.jpg.html
    193 bytes · Views: 170
An angled bracket does not make an angled wheel face. The diamond has to be moved at an angle to to the wheel to produce that feature, a task usually handled by an angle dresser. The pictured diamond holders are not angle dressers. The angles could be for clearance between wheel and dressing tool, but I have never found that to be a problem.
Also here are some photos of various angle grinding tooling. The first two are NOT angle dressers.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...t=angle+dresser+for+surface+grinder&FORM=IGRE

Surprised I haven't seen that video yet I thought I've seen all Stephan's videos. I've learned a lot from him and has lead me to push my skills. I love when he needs something like a angled dresser. Bam boo wow shabang a beautiful tool steel linear slide diamond dresser surface ground on all finishes,etched. He's definitely a professional and very talented!

JohnG is right, the angle is for side dressing the wheel.

Back