Surface grinder double column

So jim for grinding 1100mm need to do a longer machine, this was other reasons why trying move the gantry

The flex is not in the rails or carriages, it is in the columns and gantry beam.

I understand that the base would need to be longer for a moving table machine, but a much more rigid design. If you insist on building a moving gantry machine, then you need a lot of mass in the gantry, and build a very solid base. When completed, your machine should weigh at least 5000 Kg.

If I were doing a project like this, I would buy an old double column grinder or a metal planer then add CNC to it. That way someone else has done the hard work and the accuracy and rigidity is already built into the machine. The CNC and the electronics is the easy part.

Here is an example of an old metal planer converted to a large CNC mill, but converting to a grinder would be very easy. This is from a shop I used to work in.

1590519734422.png

I don’t want to be Stubborn everyone talking here give an opinion and realistic of gantry flexi how you said should no be, im try to do precise the way I want but every message turned my idea opposite way than I thought but nothing wrong when i have not much experience better have a good idea before to spend the money in wrong Direction is frustrating, becouse of the space i want to do in this way and when you explain to me will be flexi I thought talking about rails and carriage so you talking about a lot of weight there so i have to reconsider my frame design if i want to do like this, probably big section square of steel with thick wall

Nice machine you show me, i found A video about a planner and if i do the column like this will be ok? Obviously im my first picture with wood one they are to small

Attachments

• EA2D1AF9-9ADC-4664-BB07-E2957597F49F.png
    EA2D1AF9-9ADC-4664-BB07-E2957597F49F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
My only interest here is to see that you get started in to right direction. :) The members on this forum have many years of experience, and I have over 50 years experience designing and building machines. We don't want to see you get started in the wrong direction.

That is a very small planer in the picture, but look at how massive the columns are relative to the size of the machine, huge castings. But yes, I think something like that.

Thanks for your time and help i will reconsider my design! I will try to look for a planner but here where im not really easy to found, if found different way of base with different design of columns more rigid can i talk to you if found you all the time here?
Looking this skills loosing because younger child don’t want to learn, im glad im here and learn in right direction and want o do this trade in the future Thanks again for you help

It's our pleasure to help. There will always be someone here to help out, and I am here most of the time or in my shop building something.

With mass comes vibration damping. A large fabricated steel machine, even if you brace and brace and brace so it's really stiff is going to 'ring' at a much higher frequency than one made from big old blocks of cast iron, which is still used party for its vibration damping characteristics. This may be a big factor with a high speed rotating grinding wheel hanging from it. For the same dimensions, fabricated steel may well be less rigid too.
Some formidable challenges trying to build a machine this large from off the shelf items. You'll need to think it through very thoroughly if you're gunning for a good outcome.

Back