Surface Grinder for a hobbyist

Driveslayer45

Registered
Registered
Good afternoon all,

Silly question that I am sure has been asked before, is a surface grinder a worthwhile investment for a hobbyist? At this point I only piddle with stuff for myself, i doubt i would ever make any money at it.

i do a little person gunsmithing, making parts for my motorcycle, odds and ends kinda stuff...

related question, if i get one do i need a magnetic chuck? i am looking at SG for $300 but has a single t-slot in the table, no mag chuck ..

It's a slippery slope. I thought all I needed was a lathe and a mill. And a cut-off bandsaw. And a bench grinder. And a TIG welder......
You get the picture. If I could find a surface grinder for $300, I'd get my wallet out before they change their mind.

And yes, you'll need a mag chuck.

What I've noticed with surface grinders is there aren't many hobbyists who want one and that lack of demand means there are deals to be found. I see them frequently at scrap prices.

A SG without a chuck cheap probably is scrap.

But if I ever find one I can break down to fit down my basement stairs it will be mine. Same with a shaper.

Make sure and check to see if the spindle bearings are ok. They can be very expensive to replace. This is the wrong group to ask if you need another tool. Collectively we are great enablers. Once you have a surface grinder you will find more uses for it than you thought possible.

Here is what happened to me
20200131_143904.jpg

Once you spend over $50,000 you will begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel
These are the good old days.
This is what happened to me.
IMG_4198 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back