Surface grinder question (Boyar-Schultz 612)

TDPurcell

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a Boyar Schultz surface grinder, and it has what is in my estimation a built in bubble level for leveling the machine. I leveled it according to this built in level and dressed the chuck. When I put a level on the chuck, it shows that it is not level.

Which level should I go by in leveling the machine? Make the chuck level or the machine’s built in level or is there something else I need to be focused on in getting the machine set up?

Thanks

IMG_9158.jpgIMG_9164.jpgIMG_9163.jpgIMG_9160.jpgIMG_9161.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a small surface grinder the installed level is accurate enough. There is no way to get twist in the machine like you might have with a lathe.

Using a carpenter level is not going to be precise enough. Using the table level is a good start. Then compare against a precision level. I would start in the middle. Then traverse the table left and right and you will be able to see the wear in the table. Same with front to back for saddle wear. Did you level the base then the machine?

We just used the installed bubble level on ours to level it. The wear on the ways is more of an issue and keeping the chuck flat. We regrind the surface of the chuck a few times a year. It does not take long for a depression to appear!

Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful. I leveled the machine as it is, base and all, using the machine’s level as my guide. I think I’ll grind some some test pieces and also check the machine with a precision level and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also wouldn't to worried about leveling the machine from the chuck. Go with the built in one. If your not using coolant where you have to worry about it draining properly, no issue. It is important to level it close so the lube oil moves on the ways properly. Be sure you check oil levels. And if you haven't already I would suggest you dismantle the table and saddle and clean and oil it. Check the gib under the saddle, and make sure the headstock is loose enough and hanging on the feed nut. If is worn and needs a scraping come over to my forum and I'll help.

PS: Be sure to put the wheel guard back on before running it and wear your safety glasses.

There's a brand of carpenters level (I can't remember the brand) which is good to .006 per foot. This is plenty accurate enough for most any machine, and, believe or not, leveling a lathe bed.

If I leave my senior's moment long enough to remember, I'll post it here. (I even own one - but which level it is, I still have to remember)

Back