Surface grinder wheel balancing from scratch, and on the cheap:

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a surface grinder, it is awesome. But I've never felt like a balancing setup was worth the cost, which basically amounts to the cost of the machine!

SO, I'm going to try making one from scratch. That's right, everything. For this, I need 3 parts as far as I can tell:

A U shaped balancing frame. These seem to run $500 on their own, but are pretty simple looking. The only important part is that it is 3-point levelable, and that the rails are coplanar. I have two thoughts on how to do that, and might end up trying both :). I'll use the surface grinder, plus make it adjustable.

Second: an arbor. Presumably these are typically hardened. I'm just going to try turning one out of 12L14 and see how it does. The key here is going to be getting the taper in the middle correct.

Third, I need a way of balancing the wheels. The drill-bit mechanism seems silly, and the balancable arbors are expensive. Instead, I have an idea on how to cheaply/easily make my sopko style HHIP arbors adjustable based on a design I saw elsewhere.

I ordered stuff, and finally started working today. Not much work done, but it's a start :)

This is the material to the balancing fixture/frame. $30 of drops on eBay, downside is I think it is A36. I picked up 3/4" for the bottom and 1/2" for the sides. I'd put good money on this being way too thick on the bottom, but I'm going to go with it. Since my bench is a softwood table, the extra weight sounds like a good idea.
IMG_20200820_130604.jpg
First step was squaring up the base plate. I used my flycutter on two sides to get something I could put against my jaws, then flycut the top/bottom. Finally, used an endmill for the other two sides.
IMG_20200820_134755.jpg
Here it is shaped and mocked up with the other plates. Final dimension is a little under 6" square by 9/16" thick. I still have some work left to do on this obviously, but my next step is probably to do the same on the next two pieces.
IMG_20200820_152124.jpg

While that was happening, I faced and center drilled a ~7" piece of 12L14 for the arbor. I'll end up turning between centers when I get to it.
IMG_20200820_143040.jpg

Alright, a little more work today. I started by milling 4 of the faces of the sides (including the two big ones). Then, I used the surface grinder to make them the same thickness. the two were not too close, and the fly cutter dug in a few times, so I ended taking a lot of each side.

IMG_20200821_161553.jpg

Then I chucked up a surface grinder arbor in the lathe to set the taper attachment. While doing so, I noticed a couple of necessary lathe repairs (tightening some gibs, taking the play out of the taper attachment, etc. It took a while, but I'm down to less than a 1/2 thou off. This will be useful later :)
IMG_20200821_160623.jpg

Hee Hee - he's really hardball meticulous, isn't he? :)
Everything he touches on the way gets tweaked up to the nuts before he lets it proceed!

Hee Hee - he's really hardball meticulous, isn't he? :)
Everything he touches on the way gets tweaked up to the nuts before he lets it proceed!

Good grief, you have no idea :) My last thread I started (about the surface grinder part) actually started because of this project!

I went to start fly-cutting the bottom plate, which required changing the belt on my mill. As I did that, the cast Iron washer under the tightening bolt cracked. SO, I went over to the lathe to turn a new one, then to the surface grinder to clean it up, just to notice it was broken.

I feel like this scene:
is my spirit animal.

A little more work today on the base! I took the sides and milled them flat and equal sized (which will help later!

Then, I milled the slots for the sides to fit into on the bottom, drilled some holes to bolt the sides to the bottom with (I might get someone to weld this before too much longer!), And drilled/tapped the adjustment screw holes. I'll probably end up cutting the single one down a little so it doesn't risk hitting the grinding wheel.

IMG_20200826_152654.jpg

The TI-89 is the greatest calculator ever invented.
You can take it... from my cold, dead fingers!

upzf46j0fmfz.jpg

Back