Surface grinding wheels for mill

abstruse1

Registered
Registered
I'm going to try some surface grinding in my mill. It seems like a cup wheel is what I need. I have a magnetic "chuck."

What do I need to know about choosing wheels? My current need is to grind imperfections out of 3" x 3" 4140 square plates, sightly hardened (Rc ~40). I need toem to have a mirror finish when I finish the grinding/polishing process.

Thanx, guys.

Mirror finish? highly unlikely, impossible with any surface grinder, that is a lapped finish of the highest order.

I'm going to try some surface grinding in my mill. It seems like a cup wheel is what I need. I have a magnetic "chuck."

What do I need to know about choosing wheels? My current need is to grind imperfections out of 3" x 3" 4140 square plates, sightly hardened (Rc ~40). I need toem to have a mirror finish when I finish the grinding/polishing process.

Thanx, guys.
Just remember that if you do any grinding, cover everything that needs to be covered and protected from grinding dust.

A Mill is nowhere near as accurate as a surface grinder.

To get to a mirror finish you will need progressively finer wheels and you will still have to finish it by hand lapping.

As mentioned above the grinding dust is incredibly bad for you mill especially the dust created from dressing the grinding wheel.

You might be better off to either find someone local that has a surface grinder to get it flat and started for you. or just start with a fly cutter with a very sharp bit that has a good nose radius and your slowest feed and lots of cutting oil. Whether you grind or fly cut your tram has to be perfect or you will end up with a concave surface.

Last edited:
Back