Surface Grinding

Mercedes107

Registered
Registered
I have the need to grind a shim for a differential pinion. My grinder is an old Sanford 6x12 manual machine. The grinders vertical scale resolution is 0.001 so I don't quite think this is the best grinder to hold 0.0002" but I think with a little care and patience it will work. My questions is what wheel, and what should my y axis feed rate be. I currently have 2 wheels available. both are 7 x 1/2 J46 one is Ceramic gray and the other is Aluminum oxide open structure that I used to surface the mag chuck with. I am not adverse to purchasing a new wheel for this job. The shims are 82mm OD x 64mm ID x 1.9mm. I need to go down to 1.85mm ~ 0.073". I do have a mist cooling system available.

IMG_20190319_090722279.jpg

IMG_20190319_122449979.jpg

IMG_20190318_115655291.jpg

IMG_20190318_115720789.jpg

Either of those wheels will work just fine. I would prefer the pink one, it will run cooler. You could add a slightly thinner piece on the left side of the work to help block it in against moving. Also use light cuts, take your time. Your chuck is fairly fine pole, so it might be good without the blocking piece. It is smart to err on the side of not throwing a part...

Last edited:
My questions is what wheel, and what should my y axis feed rate be.

I would go with the pink wheel, I have always liked those.

I normally just feed the Y by feel, 1/4 turn / pass or a bit less?

Z, Jim... Lowering the wheel 1/4 turn/pass might get exciting...

Yes, that would get exciting Bob. :) But the question was about the Y axis. :grin:

Z might be 0.001 or so.

Is that correctly called the z axis? Axis of spindle rotation?

There does seem to be conflicting information on the axis directions on a surface grinder. I have always looked at them like a milling machine where the Z is the vertical axis, but some images show the Z as what I would concider the Y axis (front to back), and show the Y axis as the vertical.

o_ONow I'm confused

The nominal spindle centerline is traditionally the Z axis. Z on a lathe is toward and away from the chuck face. On a vertical mill, it is head, quill, or table up and down. On a surface grinder or a horizontal mill, Z is the table toward and away from the column. It is all about the spindle, and not about left, right, up, down, forward or away unless also related to spindle orientation. In the more recent CNC world, it seems to be "call it whatever you want." The goal of communication is communication.

Why not just forget the XYZ crap? there is long feed, cross feed, and down feed; is there anything clearer? I agree on the pink wheel for the reason that without flood coolant the heat generated tends to warp the work, especially when it is thin like the washer shown, which can make it difficult to hold on the magnetic chuck; down feed no more than .001, 1/4 turn on the cross feed should be OK, less if excessive heating is noted; not rocket science, more seat of the pants.

Back