Surface Plate & Gage Blocks

I have a surface plate and gage blocks but have yet to use them.

You don't need it, it's just one of the many wants that develop when you see others with them or hear them discussed. For most things people really use them for, you can use a mill table, a table saw table (I wonder how flat the Rigid granite table saws are). Until and unless you can really understand the major advantages of a precision surface over a saw table or similar, don't worry about it.

Gage block are another issue, IMO. The are useful for many things and relatively inexpensive. I think everyone should have a set, but that's my opinion. They can be used independently from a plate in so many ways it's not a fair pairing to ask about.

I bought a set of gauge blocks because it was a really good deal, and one day I'll find a sine table or vice to use them with. I haven't had a use for them yet. I bought a surface plate for about the same reason, really good deal. It lives under my tool box well protected in it's own enclosure, I use it about once a year. I also have 3 height gauges to use with the surface plate. I actually use them, but normally use my mill table for layout. Now once I get one of my surface grinders set up, I will be using the surface plate more, but too many other projects for now.

As said above, granite sink cutout is more than adequate for most home shop work.

I absolutely cannot get along without a surface plate and gage blocks any more. If you do not have known accurate references, you are guessing at everything you do. You buy a new digital micrometer, it reads to 50 millionths. Great, but is what it says really true? Grab some Jo blocks and test it at different increments, especially the important increment you need to hit dead nuts for a precision project. Without known good references, all your tools become guess-o-meters, and you just hope it is correct because you paid a lot for it. Instead of believing the advertising, test it! Having a surface that you know is flat to within 50 millionths over the compete extent of the plate, and Jo blocks accurate to a few millionths, you know the answer pretty much for sure. I have a bunch of machinist squares of various sorts, no two of which gave the same indication of squareness. If you have a surface plate and a granite angle block or a cylinder square, you can make them all correct to close limits and they all will actually agree with each other. I have slowly been calibrating my (old) Starrett squares to make them correctly square. Just takes time, a little effort, and accurate references. If you like to be a believer, that is an easy way to get by in life. If you want to know the truth, test it and find out.

Some very good import surface plates are now available quite cheap. The freight can cost more than the plate.

Inexpensive Jo blocks as well...

If you have a very accurate flat, a very accurate 90 degrees, and very accurate length references, you become your own reference standard in a home shop.

The precision I need is almost always way (WAY!) lower than what I can test, and that is a very good thing...

But to answer your question, no, a beginner does not _need_ those things.

If you get a top notch set, you will want some lesser ones to use in the workshop :)

Stuart

Well I am a beginner and have both a starrett 3"x12"x18 surface plate $60 and SPI 81 piece gauge blocks $70. Both used items from guys in the metal working club I am involved with. I have used both a couple of time for setting up some project, but more importantly practiced measuring thing accurately.

You have a machine top or a mirror. Most any thing to get you through so you see what you need.

I've got a Stanbridge surface plate and a set of gauge blocks. I've also got a piece of 6" steel machined reasonably flat and some blocks that I made that are fractional sizes. I use them way more often than uncovering the surface plate and breaking out the box of gauge blocks. They are easily accurate enough for most things.

That being said, Enco has import surface plates on sale starting at $33.00. Not a bad deal if you wait for a free shipping code from them.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=1637713

Back