Surface plate protection

RWanke

Registered
Registered
With the help of my brothers amply equipped wood working shop we built this box to protect my new surface plate. My wife says she thinks the box is so pretty and would like to have one but she doesn't know what it would be used for.

IMG_6900.JPG

IMG_6901.JPG

IMG_6902.JPG

Very interesting design. Where did you get the fasteners? They're sturdy enough to carry the weight of the plate if you pick up the box with the handles? Or do your fingers go through and under the ends of the plate?

From the last picture, it appears that the surface plate is 'captured' in the base piece, right? How big is the surface plate?

Craig

I don't remember where the latches came from. They have been in my "junk box" for probably 20 years. I made the handles so my fingers lift the plate from the ledges of the plate, and yes, the plate is captured in the bottom tray. The plate size is 9" x 12".

Nice case :encourage:

Those latches are standard equipment for road/flight cases used for sound, video and other equipment. A quick online search brings up this:

https://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/categories/Latches/Surface-Latches/

They should be plenty strong for lifting a small surface plate, much nicer than the piece of scrap plexiglass I have covering mine....

John

Very nice! I like it. :eagerness:

Beautiful case!
Beats my I’ll fitting piece of plywood and old t shirts I use to protect mine.

Nicely done, RW! I’m afraid if I had a box that nice protecting my surface plate, I’d have to have another box to protect that box.

Tom

Back