Surface plate scratches

I picked up a 24" x 36" granite Starrett plate a couple years ago. My recollection is the cost for recalibration and certifying was about $200. I got the plate cheap, and had some projects to use it, so was willing to pony up and make sure it was flat. Of course, Standridge comes through Sacramento a couple of times a year and does this work in situ; I was their last stop before heading home and they gave me a good price. Plus, I was able to partner with a couple guys who wanted to get their smaller plates worked over, so the site visit part of the cost was split amongst us.

I got this one dirt cheap I'll try to get an estimate on resurfacing it, but probably just see if I can find a sweet spot since it's so big

If as you say you just want it flat and don't need it certified, see if there is a moument (gravestone) company in your town, they are equipped to polish granite...

I wouldn't do anything to it, and I would never allow a monument shop to polish it. They could certainly remove the scratches, but the flatness would be removed along with them. They are not capable of achieving the degree of flatness required. If you can't get it lapped and re-certified, use it as is.

Back