Surface Plate

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I need a surface plate. Anyone know of a good deal on a 24x24" or similar?

Find one close or for free shipping. The freight can be very costly.

Grizzly is offering $25 flat rate shipping right now. Includes surface plates. Depending on the size of the plate and if you get a stand it’s up to about $200 savings

Just a thought: I am not a machinist, I am a model builder. I need a surface plate, but not the accuracy of a shop grade plate. What I have is a cutout from a granite counter top, the sink I think. It does not have the accuracy of a true surface plate but it serves my purposes. I do use it occasionally for machine work. The best part was the price, free for the asking. Some rubber feet from my electronics stash and it sits fairly level on my workbanch.

For us hobby guys the Grizzley or Shars granite plates are just fine.( IMHO)
I have an 18 x 24 that is pretty darn flat. Good enough for me.
I use a cast iron plate for taping down emory/sand paper to use as needed.

It would be a little bit of a drive but you could go to Travers in South Carolina and pick up a new one.

There's a 24" x 36" Mitutoyo grade AA on Craigslist in Atlanta.

It looks to be a pretty nice one on a stand.

I would bet the owner is willing to negotiate on the price. I was able to purchase a Challenge brand 24 x 36 cast iron plate a couple years ago for $100.00. Surface plates of that size are heavy (mine weighs just under 500 lbs.) and shipping would cost a fortune. sellers have to rely on local customers who can transport it themselves. It might be worth a call. Even if the seller isn't interested in your offer at this time leave your phone number. It's likely there won't be much interest and he may return the call.

As a point of reference doing an advance search of sold items on eBay there are several of the same size that have sold for $200.00 to $250.00

There's a 24" x 36" Mitutoyo grade AA on Craigslist in Atlanta.

It looks to be a pretty nice one on a stand.

I would bet the owner is willing to negotiate on the price. I was able to purchase a Challenge brand 24 x 36 cast iron plate a couple years ago for $100.00. Surface plates of that size are heavy (mine weighs just under 500 lbs.) and shipping would cost a fortune. sellers have to rely on local customers who can transport it themselves. It might be worth a call. Even if the seller isn't interested in your offer at this time leave your phone number. It's likely there won't be much interest and he may return the call.

As a point of reference doing an advance search of sold items on eBay there are several of the same size that have sold for $200.00 to $250.00

I saw that add but passed it by when I saw his asking price. I will give him a call and make a offer based on your ebay findings. Thank you very much

Back