Surface Plate

I just bought a shop grade, 12x18 3” thick plate for $100 CDN so they would have to be less in USD.

I actually have a 12x18x3 from Busy Bee Tools. Serves my needs. I don't need the high accuracy as my space shuttle days are over.

29 1/4 X 15 1/2 marble I just picked up the other day.

Attachments

• 20210112_125311.jpg
    20210112_125311.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 16
Should work well, just be gentle with it, marble is very soft.

Very early in my hobby I bought a 12X18 offshore surface plate, and I have used it on nearly every project since. It has made a big difference in getting accurate parts and avoiding mistakes. Most useful for milling layouts. A few years later I got an inexpensive set of gauge blocks and improved my results better again. A tenths test indicator once again helped me do a better job yet.

Most of these things can be done with a set of mics and patience, but it improves confidence with a properly laid out part, and the ability to accurately check it afterwards. I now have a Mitutoyo AA 18X24 surface plate to work with , and I'd never go back to the old way of guestimation.

- A surface plate is the foundation for accuracy in your shop.

A set of gauge blocks are on my list now that I have a surface plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A set of gauge blocks are on my list now that I have a surface plate.

Even the cheapest ones will be way better than your best micrometer. I don't see the need for a hobby MW to buy a high-end set.

I recently picked up an Interapid 0.0001" tenths indicator. My precision in my work has gone through the roof. I still suck as a machinist, but at least I can suck accurately.

A set of gage blocks is next on my list. You can do a nice job of measuring slots and heights on a surface plate and set up a sine bar with them.

I have a set of gage blocks. Got them to use with a sine bar. To tell the truth I almost always use a set of angle blocks instead. Nothing I have done has required high angular precision. Nice thought though. Maybe some day I'll get good enough to make use of the sine bar. I have used the blocks to measure slots when I want a tight fit. I'm still surprised at how accurately made the blocks and gage pins are, considering their relative cheap prices. Need to make one of those clamps to hold stacks together so I don't just relie on wringing.

Back