Surface Plates and Height Gages

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I don't have a height gage or a surface gage. The vast majority of my projects don't require anything beyond a cheap set of Chinese calipers, so I have been lazy about metrology. I would like to atone for that. I have a small Grade B Enco surface plate, and I'm thinking I would like to get something better and somewhat larger.

It looks like an 18" x 24" plate is around 150 pounds. Anything bigger than that, I do not want to deal with right now. A 12" x 18" plate is around 80 pounds. What's a good size plate for general use in a hobby workshop? I can't be more specific than that because I don't have a specific project in mind right now.

I don't know much about height gages. It looks like there are a lot of used ones on Ebay. I saw a 12" Mitutoyo that looks nice. Is there anything I should be careful NOT to get?

The best size for you depends on the size of the work you are going to measure. You want something big enough that you can set the piece to be measured up on and allow enough room around it to work your height gage or whatever you are going to use to measure it with... I know this is vague, but it's a vague question. As most things, it depends... A general rule would be as big as you can within reason. Consider moving it around in your shop if needed and the shipping cost when buying. You can always use a large plate for small work, but can be difficult to do larger work on a small plate.

Remember when thinking about weight that granite plates come in different thicknesses as well. An extra 1" of thickness will make a lot of difference.

I personally would not suggest buying a high grade plate for general purpose hobby work. Save some money and go with an economy grade.

Ted

I don't know much about height gages. It looks like there are a lot of used ones on Ebay. I saw a 12" Mitutoyo that looks nice. Is there anything I should be careful NOT to get?

I would stay away from the digital ones, especially if you only have one. The battery is always dead just when you need it, actually the Mitutoyo digital have really good battery life, not so much with other brands. I personally like vernier height gauges.

My surface plate is 12" x 18", is all I really have room for, and has been adequate for everything so far. Paid around $50 for it, used, on eBay.

Surface plates 18 X 24 are good for nearly anything that a hobby shop will need to do; so far as height gages are concerned, 12" is good for nearly any work, and I quite agree with Jim Dawson, that vernier height gages are desirable, but do not be tempted to go with a cheapie with a 25 division vernier, they are hard to read, especially for those of us whose vision is not what it used to be, the 50 division vernier is much easier to read. I bought a Starrett 12" height gage back in the 1960s, new for a bit over $100, And it still serves me well.

So if I grab a 12" or 18" Mitutoyo vernier gage, I should be satisfied for now?

I have a grade A 12 x 18 x 3 plate because surface plates are not commonly found here in HI. It has served me well and I don't see a need for going bigger in a hobby shop unless you plan to scrape stuff. I keep a 9 x 12 around for lapping stuff or quick small projects.

I have a 6" Starrett dial height gauge and it is used for quick layouts. My dual-column Mitutoyo digital is used for more critical layout, measuring or when I need to attach a dial test indicator to it for some reason. The vast majority of the things I do in my shop is well within the reach of my 6" gauge.

I think a 12" gauge is big enough for most things. 18" will be huge. Don't forget that you have to store the thing.

The beauty of a vernier height gage is they are not as immediately sought after as digital. Another beauty is they never need to be recalibrated which digital they do. Take your time and get to know what's out there. I got my Starrett 14" master bar HG on eBay with an old well taken care of BestTest TI and a bunch of attachments, snugs extra scribes and probes for $140 w/shipping. It didn't have its box with it but the guy packed it beautifully. Not until later was it pointed out to me this was a sought after unit because of the master bar. Very very expensive new. Somebody took care of it and used it al lot as all the paint was rubbed off the base but the bottom was like a mirror and in perfect shape. The condition of the bottom is paramount. If they don't show the pick be wary. I've gotten a couple of old surface gages and both needed to be refinished because they were no longer flat.

There is no hope of finding one of these things locally, and Ebay seems to be heavy on the big ones right now. I'm sure something will turn up.

Back