Surface Plates and Height Gages

Given the things I'm reading about old surface gages and their crooked bottoms, I'm thinking I may just go with a new one from Shars.

It appears that I put an offer in on a Scherr-Tumico with a bunch of stuff included. I must have forgotten. Anyway, it's mine now. Time to think about a surface gage. SUGGESTIONS?
Yeah, don't fall a sleep late at nite with the home shopping net work on :p

Scherr-Tumico is good stuff, you should be happy. Gotta post pics when you get it....

The gage arrived. I now understand just how big an 18" gage is. The wooden box looks like a child's coffin.

It came with a bunch of little stuff, so it's usable as-is. Maybe I should get a 6" gage some day.

I now understand just how big an 18" gage is.

Heh.. Yes, I have the same Starrett surface plate and my height gage is also 18" high. I think I've only used the full range of the gage a few times in the 20 or so years I've owned the thing but it has never been in my way. A 12" would certainly have been adequate and probably a better fit for the little stone but, hey, it works just fine.

Best thing I did was put the stone on top of a small Kennedy roll around. It puts the work high enough so that when sitting in a comfy shop chair I can really see what I'm doing without stooping down. Very comfortable to do measuring and layout work at, more or less, eye level. Also, the roll around makes it easy to move the thing around in the shop. Surprising how convenient that can be..

1580796833294.png

MK

Back