Surplus M1 Garands from the Philippines

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I apologize if this has come up.
I am familiar with the CMP and their rifles. I purchased a service grade Springfield about 12 years ago.
I may have my facts wrong, didn't we have the opportunity to bring these surplus rifles back to the US during the Obama administration and he refused to allow them?
Did President Trump allow these to come over to the CMP for processing?
I know the CMP has been low or out of product for a while now.
More information on this would be great.

This is the Youtube video I saw about the rifles.

Yeah, obama wouldn't allow them back.

I would like to pick up an M1A1 from CMP.

The ordering process is a bit tedious but once you gather all your documents and add a credit card, you just sit back and wait, months sometimes, Once they get this new load sorted we should have a new source of "The finest war implement ever devised".
People buy these rifles and hold on to them. I lost mine in the fire, dang it!

Actually no. The Garands they would not let in had no connection with the CMP. They were other surplus M1s that were going to be sold commercially through folks like Century and the like. I haven't checked for a couple months but the CMP had plenty of the "new" Flip guns.

Oh my. I have a Garand. Shes all alone and needs a sister. I wish I had some spare cash. The good news is they're not scrapping them.
Wonder if they have BARs and M1 carbines too.

I picked one up at the south store 2 years ago. I’ll be in the area agsin in July for another. There is a guy who posts in the CMP forums under the south store sub forum. He goes there everyday they are open and reports on what the have etc. I met up with him there and he helped me choose a nice WRA. I think his screen name over there is PH68. He is a wealth of info on Garands

I don't see anything posted for auction on their site- or do you need to be registered?

Tim

They won't have BARs since they are full auto. They get M1 Carbines every now and again but they put most of them on auction instead of for sale. They won't have M1A1s except for parts kits. They get bayonets and other trinkets from time to time.

Not allowing repatriation of US-made military surplus began long before Obama. Following WWII, the market was flooded with military surplus and it depressed sales of new civilian gear for years. Capitalism learns quickly and from that time on, manufacturers bribed Congress to include prohibitions that any sales to foreign governments or any US gear and vehicles shipped overseas could not be returned for sale in the US.

jack vines, who shot expert with the Garand from a firing pit and sandbag, but always finds the buttstock too short and it to be muzzle heavy to shoot standing. It's an awkward *****; 5' tall 100# Vietnamese RF/PFs always struggled with their 9.5# Garands, so I can't imagine the Phillys did any better with them.

Last edited:
Back