• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Surplus Metal

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

johninlv

Swarf
Registered Member
Years ago I used to buy metal from the Boeing surplus store, Short pieces long pieces mostly round aluminum bar stock. I just moved back into the Everett / Marysville area and much has changed. It seams everything goes to the recyclers now.
Anyone have a favorite one in the area that has a good assortment and easy to deal with.

John in Marysville

pontiac428

I have not found anywhere to buy scrap by weight in the area. I used to fill buckets with drops and remnants from local shops at the salvage yard. Now it seems that stuff doesn't stay on the ground long enough, it's straight into the bailers and on the rail cars to go wherever for reprocessing.
Please post back if you find someplace in the area. Paying retail for new material sucks.

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Do you have a metal super market in your area? They will sell you their scrap pieces by weight.

jdedmon91

I got lucky and found some at the local scrap yard. I posted it in another thread
this was 2 inch aluminum. The downside it was $1 a pound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silverbullet

I got lucky and found some at the local scrap yard. I posted it in another thread
this was 2 inch aluminum. The downside it was $1 a pound
That's cheap, last time I bought aluminum scrap drops I paid $2.00 and that was a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rwm

Active User
Do you have a metal super market in your area? They will sell you their scrap pieces by weight.
I just realized there is one in the CLT. Have you used them? Are they reasonable in price? How do they feel about individuals buying in small quantity?
I just put in an online order from them for some aluminum bar stock just to get a price idea. They wanted to charge $3/lb. Is pricing different in the store?
Robert

Last edited:

Lordbeezer

I use the one in Raleigh.they sell cut offs much cheaper than full pieces..one here has good selection of different metals..and they cut full pieces to your specs for a very fair price..

Z2V

I have three metal suppliers in my area, all have drop shelfs. Metal Super Market has the best selection but also the highest price per pound.

jdedmon91

I just realized there is one in the CLT. Have you used them? Are they reasonable in price? How do they feel about individuals buying in small quantity?
I just put in an online order from them for some aluminum bar stock just to get a price idea. They wanted to charge $3/lb. Is pricing different in the store?
Robert
NCJeeper has bought drops from them. I have purchased some aluminum bar 1” they was quite reasonable. Race City Steel up in Denver has some drops, they quoted me a good price on some aluminum bar. I’m going to try them out on aluminum bar mainly because there a close than Metal Supermarkets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdedmon91

Yes I thought that was high until I emailed NCJeeper and asked him. He explained he paid the same $2 a pound at his scrap yard only 40 miles away.

They had a dump hopper full of these aluminum drops. There was some scrap parts they had made in the same hopper. Looks like someone was bar feeding the material in a CNC lathe and those were the bar ends that was used to chuck on.

jdedmon91

Follow up here in my area the smaller machine shops are 1/3 of the number that was around when I started out. Of course that is related to the
movement of textiles industry off shore. In Gaston county NC most of those shops were making textile equipment parts. So the scrap material you find in scrap yards here is more structural type.

I was surprised to find that amount of useable aluminum. The downside there was no other size material. Also that makes it difficult to find a shop that would sell scrap out the back instead sending to scrap yard.

When I worked at Eaton transmission plant. They actually had hoppers full of scrap from various reasons. The problem is the scrap even chips were bidded out and most of the time a larger scrap yard would pay premium price because of volume. So the scrap most of the time went to Greenville SC.

I do have some steel I managed to get out but it’s 8620 and you definitely need carbide inserts to machine it

sailor1845

Swarf
Registered Member
I have been very successful in buying the stock I need from Craig's List and EBAY. There is usually someone who just wants to get rid of the stuff and get a few buck in return. It is not always available and you have to buy it when it is.

G MORSCH

Carbide Guy
Hi, All:
I have been very successful getting scrap from a company that has 6 or 7 Swiss style machines. Every bar end is typically 12 to 14 inches long due to the traveling head on that style machine. I pay them 12 cents per lb. for stainless, 75 cents for brass, and they tell me to bring my trailer for steel at no charge. This company is 60 miles from the nearest re-cycler and they are charged .5 cents per lb. of steel to hall it away. Lots 1215, 1117, 8620, and 4140. I also offer 2X scrap price but they just let it go for the current price, which is way under what I have to pay for drops at a dealer. Find a remote shop and offer cash for scrap. Bring them Pizza or Donuts now and then.

Good luck!
Gary

ttabbal

Hi, All:
I have been very successful getting scrap from a company that has 6 or 7 Swiss style machines. Every bar end is typically 12 to 14 inches long due to the traveling head on that style machine. I pay them 12 cents per lb. for stainless, 75 cents for brass, and they tell me to bring my trailer for steel at no charge. This company is 60 miles from the nearest re-cycler and they are charged .5 cents per lb. of steel to hall it away. Lots 1215, 1117, 8620, and 4140. I also offer 2X scrap price but they just let it go for the current price, which is way under what I have to pay for drops at a dealer. Find a remote shop and offer cash for scrap. Bring them Pizza or Donuts now and then.

Good luck!
Gary

Well, you suck! :)

Want to ship some to the rest of us? :D

pacifica

RGL
If you have amazon prime there are some good deals, but it takes some searching. Ex: I bought .75" x 3" x 6' 360 brass, $1.50 per pound; 1018 3.875" steel rod, $.66 per pound. Shipping included which is a killer with online metal stores.You have to go through a list to find good deals since the price varies considerably.

NCjeeper

Robert
They have been reasonably priced on their aluminum. I haven't ordered on-line, I have always called them. When I was there a couple of weeks ago picking up my order I noticed their scrap bins and asked about getting some. They said no problem and I just rummaged through the steel bin for some good drops for my lathes. They sold me steel drops for 71 cents a pound. a few months ago I paid 35 cents a pound. The steel tariffs have scared everyone and prices have risen.They had some nice big chunks of aluminum in the aluminum bin. I was tempted to grab some, but my bill was already 250 bucks for my order and drops so I passed.

BtoVin83

Steel yard here is high on remnant pieces, a 5 foot piece costs about the same if I bought a 20 foot piece. Plus they will deliver for free I just wind up with a lot of extra.

mickri

I live in the central valley of California east of Fresno and north of Visalia. Anybody know of places to buy metal in this general area?

johninlv

Swarf
Registered Member
Metal Supermarket in Everett WA is a new metal seller at new metal prices, not the surplus recycled metal sales I am looking for. The quest continues.

John in Marysville 98270

NCjeeper

Yeah all the drops and odd sized pieces that don't sell just get tossed in scrap bins destin for the recycler. Some days you can get lucky and find some nice stuff. Other times not so much so its a crap shoot.

[6]
[5] [7]