Surplus Metal

johninlv

Registered
Registered
Years ago I used to buy metal from the Boeing surplus store, Short pieces long pieces mostly round aluminum bar stock. I just moved back into the Everett / Marysville area and much has changed. It seams everything goes to the recyclers now.
Anyone have a favorite one in the area that has a good assortment and easy to deal with.

John in Marysville

I have not found anywhere to buy scrap by weight in the area. I used to fill buckets with drops and remnants from local shops at the salvage yard. Now it seems that stuff doesn't stay on the ground long enough, it's straight into the bailers and on the rail cars to go wherever for reprocessing.
Please post back if you find someplace in the area. Paying retail for new material sucks.

Do you have a metal super market in your area? They will sell you their scrap pieces by weight.

I got lucky and found some at the local scrap yard. I posted it in another thread
32a98021e9d5e263db418a0ceafb3561.jpg
this was 2 inch aluminum. The downside it was $1 a pound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got lucky and found some at the local scrap yard. I posted it in another thread
32a98021e9d5e263db418a0ceafb3561.jpg
this was 2 inch aluminum. The downside it was $1 a pound
That's cheap, last time I bought aluminum scrap drops I paid $2.00 and that was a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have a metal super market in your area? They will sell you their scrap pieces by weight.

I just realized there is one in the CLT. Have you used them? Are they reasonable in price? How do they feel about individuals buying in small quantity?
I just put in an online order from them for some aluminum bar stock just to get a price idea. They wanted to charge $3/lb. Is pricing different in the store?
Robert

Last edited:
I use the one in Raleigh.they sell cut offs much cheaper than full pieces..one here has good selection of different metals..and they cut full pieces to your specs for a very fair price..

I have three metal suppliers in my area, all have drop shelfs. Metal Super Market has the best selection but also the highest price per pound.

I just realized there is one in the CLT. Have you used them? Are they reasonable in price? How do they feel about individuals buying in small quantity?
I just put in an online order from them for some aluminum bar stock just to get a price idea. They wanted to charge $3/lb. Is pricing different in the store?
Robert

NCJeeper has bought drops from them. I have purchased some aluminum bar 1” they was quite reasonable. Race City Steel up in Denver has some drops, they quoted me a good price on some aluminum bar. I’m going to try them out on aluminum bar mainly because there a close than Metal Supermarkets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I thought that was high until I emailed NCJeeper and asked him. He explained he paid the same $2 a pound at his scrap yard only 40 miles away.

They had a dump hopper full of these aluminum drops. There was some scrap parts they had made in the same hopper. Looks like someone was bar feeding the material in a CNC lathe and those were the bar ends that was used to chuck on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back