Surplus Metal

Follow up here in my area the smaller machine shops are 1/3 of the number that was around when I started out. Of course that is related to the
movement of textiles industry off shore. In Gaston county NC most of those shops were making textile equipment parts. So the scrap material you find in scrap yards here is more structural type.

I was surprised to find that amount of useable aluminum. The downside there was no other size material. Also that makes it difficult to find a shop that would sell scrap out the back instead sending to scrap yard.

When I worked at Eaton transmission plant. They actually had hoppers full of scrap from various reasons. The problem is the scrap even chips were bidded out and most of the time a larger scrap yard would pay premium price because of volume. So the scrap most of the time went to Greenville SC.

I do have some steel I managed to get out but it’s 8620 and you definitely need carbide inserts to machine it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been very successful in buying the stock I need from Craig's List and EBAY. There is usually someone who just wants to get rid of the stuff and get a few buck in return. It is not always available and you have to buy it when it is.

I found a Metal Supermarket branch at 715 100th St SE, Everett, WA 98208. Will give them a look.

John in Marysville WA

Hi, All:
I have been very successful getting scrap from a company that has 6 or 7 Swiss style machines. Every bar end is typically 12 to 14 inches long due to the traveling head on that style machine. I pay them 12 cents per lb. for stainless, 75 cents for brass, and they tell me to bring my trailer for steel at no charge. This company is 60 miles from the nearest re-cycler and they are charged .5 cents per lb. of steel to hall it away. Lots 1215, 1117, 8620, and 4140. I also offer 2X scrap price but they just let it go for the current price, which is way under what I have to pay for drops at a dealer. Find a remote shop and offer cash for scrap. Bring them Pizza or Donuts now and then.

Good luck!
Gary

Hi, All:
I have been very successful getting scrap from a company that has 6 or 7 Swiss style machines. Every bar end is typically 12 to 14 inches long due to the traveling head on that style machine. I pay them 12 cents per lb. for stainless, 75 cents for brass, and they tell me to bring my trailer for steel at no charge. This company is 60 miles from the nearest re-cycler and they are charged .5 cents per lb. of steel to hall it away. Lots 1215, 1117, 8620, and 4140. I also offer 2X scrap price but they just let it go for the current price, which is way under what I have to pay for drops at a dealer. Find a remote shop and offer cash for scrap. Bring them Pizza or Donuts now and then.

Good luck!
Gary

Well, you suck! :)

Want to ship some to the rest of us? :D

If you have amazon prime there are some good deals, but it takes some searching. Ex: I bought .75" x 3" x 6' 360 brass, $1.50 per pound; 1018 3.875" steel rod, $.66 per pound. Shipping included which is a killer with online metal stores.You have to go through a list to find good deals since the price varies considerably.

I just realized there is one in the CLT. Have you used them? Are they reasonable in price? How do they feel about individuals buying in small quantity?
I just put in an online order from them for some aluminum bar stock just to get a price idea. They wanted to charge $3/lb. Is pricing different in the store?
Robert
They have been reasonably priced on their aluminum. I haven't ordered on-line, I have always called them. When I was there a couple of weeks ago picking up my order I noticed their scrap bins and asked about getting some. They said no problem and I just rummaged through the steel bin for some good drops for my lathes. They sold me steel drops for 71 cents a pound. a few months ago I paid 35 cents a pound. The steel tariffs have scared everyone and prices have risen.They had some nice big chunks of aluminum in the aluminum bin. I was tempted to grab some, but my bill was already 250 bucks for my order and drops so I passed.

Reactions: rwm
Steel yard here is high on remnant pieces, a 5 foot piece costs about the same if I bought a 20 foot piece. Plus they will deliver for free I just wind up with a lot of extra.

I live in the central valley of California east of Fresno and north of Visalia. Anybody know of places to buy metal in this general area?

Metal Supermarket in Everett WA is a new metal seller at new metal prices, not the surplus recycled metal sales I am looking for. The quest continues.

John in Marysville 98270

Back