Sw Shenwai -900B lathe

The SW900B and the PM-1030 are very different lathes. The SW900B will swing 12" over the bed and 17.5" in the gap, a bigger spindle hole and 75% heavier. It depends on what you want to use the lathe for. The SW900B has more capability.

$2k for a used import 12x36 seems steep to me but it does have good accessories. I paid $1100 for mine a year ago with only a 3 jaw 6" chuck. Good condition but dirty. Stand was banged up, but whatever.

The seller currently is asking $2000.00 for the lathe comes with original floor stand with shelves, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, center steady rest, quick change tool and extra attachments not know, has the original tools box and accessories.

I can buy the new PM-1030v for ($2,399.00 plus freight) with pretty much same accessories,
a warranty and parts are available. My concern is with this old of a machine what's the wear and tear factor on it or has been service cycle on this lathe. If any of the gears are bad or if I have to replace the motor what's that going to cost me ?

However I don't know what the current value or resale value would be if I decide to buy now and use it for few years and then try to sale several years down the road being it an older machine!

Any thoughts from anybody ????

you can always offer 1600 and go from there
the PM1030 is a versatile machine,
but you'd be better off to get the shenwai even at 2k, IMO, unless the SW900 is trashed

The SW is a much larger and more versatile machine. Remember a large lathe can make small parts while a small lathe cannot make large parts!

Tooling is where the money is spent! Motors are inexpensive. I spent $1500 on a similar lathe by Jet a few years ago. Currently I am thinking of downsizing as I don’t need the length. I wish I could find a 12ish by 27ish in my area, but they are much harder to find than the 1340 sized lathes.

I got the 12x36 without really knowing what all I would need it for. Almost immediately I had parts that would have pushed the envelope of anything smaller. I'm a fan of buying rigidity and size when you can afford it.

Back