Swarf "Hook" (grabber?)

kevin

Active User
Registered
How about using a fish hook remover for grabbing stringy swarf on the lathe? I happened to run across one of these on sale for a few bucks and thought I would give it a try. Only tried it a few times so far, but it seems to work nicely - has a long narrow reach and a comfortable grip. Works better than the long reach pliers I was using before.

fish-hook-remover.jpg

sounds like a good idea, I have several different type that I really do not use for fishing so will have to put it in the machine shop

I should note that there are some styles of fish hook removers which have scissors type handles (with finger loops on the end). In my opinion it is a safety hazard to use anything for swarf removal which has finger loop type handles (another example would forcep type tools which are popular with hobbyists for other uses). The reason for this is that you do not want to use any type of tool you cannot quickly let go of if it gets caught up in the machinery.

With regular long reach pliers or the type of tool shown in the picture in my post, if the tool gets caught in the machinery it will just be pulled out your hand, whereas with finger loops you risk being pulled into the machinery (or losing fingers!).

I should note that there are some styles of fish hook removers which have scissors type handles (with finger loops on the end). In my opinion it is a safety hazard to use anything for swarf removal which has finger loop type handles (another example would forcep type tools which are popular with hobbyists for other uses). The reason for this is that you do not want to use any type of tool you cannot quickly let go of if it gets caught up in the machinery.

With regular long reach pliers or the type of tool shown in the picture in my post, if the tool gets caught in the machinery it will just be pulled out your hand, whereas with finger loops you risk being pulled into the machinery (or losing fingers!).

When I was still young and stupid and thought I knew it all and yada yada yada,I use long nose pliers and what a bad idea that is. You think you are just grabing with the plier nose and then just as you close your fingers on the pliers and start pulling away,there is that one shaving thread,sharp as a blade,getting in between your fingers and the pliers,and no I was not wearing cloves of any kind,because I am young and stupid remember. And that gave me a teaching lesson and a couple of stiches in a 3 fingers.....and an angry boss at that time,cause now I could not work. You live,you learn.

Normally I use a piece of heavy gauge copper wire with a hook bent in one end. that way if it grabs, It will straiten out, Have had it do it one time so far. Figure if it was something else it could have pull had toward it.

I only pull on stringers when the machine is not turning. Even if it means stopping in a cut to remove the wad of stringers that tend to collect around the turning tool or drill bit. I learned the hard way when I was younger, too. Fortunately, I didn't need stitches or loose any fingers over it.

I've used a bent gas filler rod even brazing to bend into a hook and an end bent to hold it. It's better to have it unbend then get cut up.

Back