Swivel of the Mill Turret

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How important is it to have the turret or the ram 90° or perpindicular to the vise?

If it's not you're basically cutting an angle instead of a square. On some things it's not important, others it is, but it's good machining practice to keep your head trammed.

Head tramming is different, correct?
I adjust the node, and tilt but not sure how to check the swivel. I'll have to think about it.

It would only matter if you didn't have enough travel on the table to complete an operation and had to extend the ram. I've never ran into that problem.

Greg

If I am understanding our question, exactly as-written, it should not matter a single bit.

It could only possibly matter if you were using the turret to move during an operation, which I don’t believe to be a good idea.
We are talking about a Bridgeport? The movement is also not easily controlled.

I don’t even believe a Deckel turret is meant to be used for cutting movements, but I may be mistaken.

Bernie

If I am understanding our question, exactly as-written, it should not matter a single bit.

That's how I read it too. You're actually squaring the vice to the table ways not the turret so it shouldn't matter unless you're using a horizontal attachment

Not important at all... the movement of the saddle and table is independent of the turret.

-Bear

Like Bear said, it does not matter. If you needed to machine on the end of a long component, you may wish to swivel the turret and extend the ram - that would put more of the work piece on the table.

Back