Synchronous or asynchronous

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
Registered
I have two motors,a Dayton 3n371a 1-1/2 hp 3 phase motor that was used for a paint booth tube axial exhaust fan and a Siemens RGZESD 2 hp 3 phase motor than I’m not for sure what it came off of and want to control one of or both with a vfd but not sure if they are induction. Im about 90 percent sure that the Siemens one is induction ,so thats good,it’s just so damn heavy,but can’t find much info on the Dayton.

Is there a way I can test with a multimeters to tell if they are induction/asynchronous or not?

Hell I’ll open one up if I have to. That’s not a big deal but, and I didn’t ever try to find out if I could do it that way but will look into that now.

The are both induction. The rpm of a synchronous motor would have to be exactly 1800 (4 pole). 1725 rpm implies some slip so it’s an induction motor.

I believe they are asynchronous. A true synchronous motor would be something like a record turntable motor with virtually no slip up to a certain torque rating
Steppers are also synchronous

They are asynchronous, either can be used with a VFD. Synchronous would be 1800 RPM, a synchronous electric motor is an AC motor in which, at steady state, the rotation of the shaft is synchronized with the frequency of the supply current; the rotation period is exactly equal to an integral number of AC cycles.The Dayton is an XPFC so sealed explosion proof/fan cooled, so could be used around combustibles, the Siemens is a TENV so uses it mass and fins to dissipate the heat. Either should be able to be run by a 2 Hp VFD that has an output current of ~6.5A or greater.

3N371.jpg

Last edited:
Back