T&C grinder research ???-450? Mine is a Kao Ming

Question about this grinder and anyone with any experience, would it be worth while to get a magnetic chuck to do basic surface grinding? what is the technical difference between a T&C Grinder and a surface grinder?
I have also wondered about using a mag chuck on it. Might want to start a new thread with that question, get more responses than in the middle of this thread.

Yes you can surface grind on the t&c. The obvious thing is size of table which dictates sizes that can be ground. A small mag chuck and precision chuck would be good tools to have to expand the capabilities of the grinder. I wouldn’t expect surface grinder precision though.

There is a cheap import ($99) 6x6" mag chuck on ebay I may pick up in before the end of the year to give it a try, unless a better deal shows up on a name brand local.

I don’t know if theirs auction in your neck of the woods but I have great luck and that type of stuff goes cheap and usually grade A stuff.

Rare, in Phoenix we were a bit too hot during the heyday of the industrial revolution prior to the widespread use of Air Conditioning, so it never really got into our culture. ASU does seem to have a monthly auction with great stuff in it I only just started keeping an eye on. Otherwise I mostly just get lucky from retirees that moved to the area and selling off their tool boxes.

There is a cheap import ($99) 6x6" mag chuck on ebay I may pick up in before the end of the year to give it a try, unless a better deal shows up on a name brand local.
Well, did you try it as a surface grinder yet?

I have been using my LeBlonde T&C as a surface grinder for 20 years and it is pretty accurate. Only modification I did was to make an arbor extension so the wheel was far enough out that it hits every part of the 6x12 magnetic chuck.

I haven't tried it yet. I was stuck on making a 2x72 belt grinder and haven't gotten back to this part yet.

I just got a Jet JCG 450-1 that looks just like yours but with more rust. I've got it cleaned, lubed, and running but the bed still has some pitting. It came with a 6 x 12 ENCO magnetic chuck that's also rusted. I plan on grinding the chuck surface when I figure out the proper way to use the grinder. Can you tell me where you found the manual? Does it show the different accessories available? I've got lots of parts and pieces but not sure if the are for the grinder. Do you know the name of the company making accessories? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Shelly

EvapoRust is your friend. Get the gel, or saturate paper-towels in it and lay on surfaces works pretty well. found the manual on ebay. pretty sure any grinder accessories should work fine and you can even invent your own as needed. I found a tool and cutter grinding book on amazon that while not great it's pretty good for a very entry level grinding instruction.

I never got a mag chuck for mine, but I did try surface grinding a small anvil shaped object I have that I use mostly for leather work. It made for an OK finish but I think the rack-and-pinion slide makes for an odd surface finish.

Back