T nut location

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!! I've went with not using keys in the vise. I zero'd out the vise on the mill and it is doing a terrific job. I'm like a kid at Christmas time!!

3JbTiY9.jpg

One thing I do like about keys (besides the automatic location when mounting) is that they reduce the torque requirement of the main bolts and the
stress on the t-slots. But making and fitting keys is a pita
Mark

I like the keys because they help stop errors caused by the vise slipping, and also take away the requirement of tramming in the vise for most work. With snug fitting keys, simply putting the vise on the table and bolting it down gets my vise within .001" over 6", bumping one corner with my palm and then tightening it down gets it under .0005" over 6". The vise can be angled by simply removing the keys temporarily, two screws. The easiness of moving the vise on and off the table prompts me to take it off and bolt stuff to the table, or simply slide it to the end of the table. still in tram, and also to move the vise to different lateral table locations regularly, helping to equalize the wear along the lead screw and ways. That long table is meant to be used, and not just for loose tools!

Right on Bob. I'm a member of the swiveling vise with keys club
Mark
0813171428-00.jpg

Last edited:
Back