[Newbie] T-slot Bolts For Kurt 675

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I just bought a used Kurt 675 (haven't even arrived yet).
I don't think it comes with t-slot bolts- so I think I have to buy them.
-- On the Kurt web site-- a pair of these t bolts sell for about 65 bucks!
Question: Is it reasonable to go with import t-slot bolts? --Or having spent quite a bit on the 675 --should I go with the $65 Kurt bolts?
Thanks in advance!

Unless Kurt has built in a need for special bolts, I would look elsewhere, or using some other method, clamp your new Kurt vice to the mill table and make your own T-slot nuts.

I use 1/2 inch, socket head cap screws and a couple of heavy washers on mine. Just make sure that they don't bottom out in the T-slot. You can also use the short bolts in your clamp kit. You do have a clamp kit?

I just use a couple cheap tee nuts and some grade 8 bolts from hardware store, I doubt I have $6 in the set up. Could just as easily use grade 2 or grade 5 bolts and be fine.

michael

I made my own T-Bolts, washers and nuts as well for my 8 inch Kurt. They are not difficult to make
and one can custom make them to your liking. Mine were made of mild steel and work just fine.

Thanks to everyone.
Yes, I have a clamp kit. It came with the mill. I hadn't had a chance to check it out, but I did today, and I found the 'T" nuts in the kit-- go I'm good on this. No $33 dollar bolts from Kurt!

I prefer regular T slot nuts (the ones that come in clamp sets) to T bolts. The T nuts are considerably longer than T bolts,and present a longer footprint under the T slot. I think this helps lessen the chance of a T bolt jerking a hunk out of the T slot. Spreads out the force trying to break out the T slot better.
I have never used T bolts on my mill. I have always hated to see a mill with a hunk or 2 jerked out of the T slot.

I prefer regular T slot nuts (the ones that come in clamp sets) to T bolts. The T nuts are considerably longer than T bolts,and present a longer footprint under the T slot. I think this helps lessen the chance of a T bolt jerking a hunk out of the T slot. Spreads out the force trying to break out the T slot better.
I have never used T bolts on my mill. I have always hated to see a mill with a hunk or 2 jerked out of the T slot.
George, the clamping kit I have has 3/8 threaded rod and T slot nuts. I think the Kurt visit I have on the way calls for 1/2 inch bolts (really T slot nuts with 1/2 inch threaded rod). Do you think the 3/8 are adequate? -- Quite a difference in strength between 3/8 and 1/2".
Thanks,
Bob

How many tons of force do you need to hold the vise down? And,how many tons of force does it take to jerk a hole in your T slot?

Of course,if the T nuts are directly beneath the slots in the vise,as they should be,the studs will only be compressing the cast iron of the table between the T nuts and the vise AS IT SHOULD.

I think 3/8" would be adequate. If your clamping set has only 3/8" bolts,and the T nuts fit your table,the studs are the maximum size that will fit through your table's slots.

Cheap T bolts and nuts aren't really as strong as they should be anyway. Their threads get distorted and pulled sideways. A proper,quality clamp set like a Teco has mjuch better,properly hardened T nuts and studs in it that can take a lot more torque.

They had a Teco set at Fastenal that was $250.00. I was able to buy the identical set on sale from Enco for about $55.00 several years ago. Unfortunately,the 1/2" stud size sets are much cheaper than the 3/8" sets because they are made for Bridgeport size machines,and are much more common. I had to pay much more for a 3/8" set for my Harrison universal mill because they make fewer sets of those. I haven't had trouble with the vise walking on the Harrison,and it is a very powerful,geared head mill that can move more metal than the Bridgeport.

I do advise either making or buying some heavy,1/8" thick hardened steel washers to place under the nuts you are tightening down the vise with. Ordinary washers will just cave in and will not be capable of using the full force of your clamping studs.

How many tons of force do you need to hold the vise down? And,how many tons of force does it take to jerk a hole in your T slot?

Of course,if the T nuts are directly beneath the slots in the vise,as they should be,the studs will only be compressing the cast iron of the table between the T nuts and the vise AS IT SHOULD.

I think 3/8" would be adequate. If your clamping set has only 3/8" bolts,and the T nuts fit your table,the studs are the maximum size that will fit through your table's slots.

Cheap T bolts and nuts aren't really as strong as they should be anyway. Their threads get distorted and pulled sideways. A proper,quality clamp set like a Teco has mjuch better,properly hardened T nuts and studs in it that can take a lot more torque.

They had a Teco set at Fastenal that was $250.00. I was able to buy the identical set on sale from Enco for about $55.00 several years ago. Unfortunately,the 1/2" stud size sets are much cheaper than the 3/8" sets because they are made for Bridgeport size machines,and are much more common. I had to pay much more for a 3/8" set for my Harrison universal mill because they make fewer sets of those. I haven't had trouble with the vise walking on the Harrison,and it is a very powerful,geared head mill that can move more metal than the Bridgeport.

I do advise either making or buying some heavy,1/8" thick hardened steel washers to place under the nuts you are tightening down the vise with. Ordinary washers will just cave in and will not be capable of using the full force of your clamping studs.
Actually the slots in my table are 1/2 inch, and the T slot nuts with the 3/8 studs are 1/2". Don't know why the 3/8" set was with this machine-- it jut came with it--- Maybe I'll drill out the 3/8 holes in the T nuts to 1/2" and get some 1/2 inch studs and nuts--maybe grade 8.

Back