Briney Eye

Registered
Registered
Just floating an idea here. I've gotten it into my head to try building an extended T-slot cross slide for my Model 200 based on Myford's design. To make building it "easier" I've made the circular compound T slot a two-piece design. I would also like to mount a magnetic encoder under the slide a la M-DRO (www.machine-dro.co.uk), which is the reason for the extension block on the tail end. I currently have a TouchDRO setup with the X-axis scale mounted in the space above the screw, it works really well, and the flat surface of the chip cover is very handy. It doesn't reduce the Z-axis travel, it doesn't interfere with the follower rest, and it minimizes sine error. While I was at it I added some ball oilers for the dovetails and the screw.

What would y'all think of a project series here and YouTube video(s)?

Logan 200 Extended Cross Slide.jpg

I think that would be an excellent project!

Great idea! I wondered if it would be stronger if you ran maybe two T-slots lengthwise instead of four across. It would also be a lot less machining and allows you to slide rear mounted tools anywhere along those slots. Hope you build this because there are a lot of small older lathes that would benefit from being able to rear mount tools.

I would love one of those to replace my 820's sloped cross-slide. All that great real estate for mounting indicators would be available; now it's useless. Looking forward to seeing your build!
Tim

Great idea! I wondered if it would be stronger if you ran maybe two T-slots lengthwise instead of four across. It would also be a lot less machining and allows you to slide rear mounted tools anywhere along those slots. Hope you build this because there are a lot of small older lathes that would benefit from being able to rear mount tools.
Mikey,
According to Rob they will make the cross slide weaker. Mine has slots that run lengthwise but only about 40% length of the cross slide.

Mikey,
According to Rob they will make the cross slide weaker. Mine has slots that run lengthwise but only about 40% length of the cross slide.
Well that was unexpected! Something to think about as it made sense. I think it's weird that like with my 9x20 this was not a weird idea cooked up by China, is a knockoff of the Swedish Emco. And their crosslide are slotted with the crosslide it seems up to the Super 11, then they are not slotted at all. Makes you wonder....hmmm.

Mikey,

I dunno, sounds like one guy's opinion. It's on Youtube so it must be true, right? :laughing:

My Sherline lathe has an aluminum cross slide and I have noted no issues with mounting tools at the rear. If anything, things are more rigid back there. My Emco Super 11 also has T-slots running down the length of the cross slide and I have had zero issues with that. So, based on long experience, I don't buy his theory.

I would love one of those to replace my 820's sloped cross-slide. All that great real estate for mounting indicators would be available; now it's useless. Looking forward to seeing your build!
Tim
If you look in the old Logan catalog the 820‘s had a optional front and back cross slide.

Back