T slot cutter for shellholder

Jmp50

Registered
Registered
Made a universal shellholder for my a4 press. Just need to mill / T slot for a standard shellholder.
T slot measures 9/16×1/8, only thing I can find online measure 5/8x1/8.
Anyone have a source for a HSS. Factory holder for reference.
Thanks
20221012_105914.jpg

Attachments

• 55311FD4-3E9E-4632-A15F-F19BC567704D.jpeg
    55311FD4-3E9E-4632-A15F-F19BC567704D.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 22
Are you talking about a cutting tool? if so, you could grind the ⅝" down to 9/16.

Would you be able to grind a rebated shaft onto a 9/16 end mill to make a slot cutter? A d-bit ground with an L-shaped annular grooving pattern would work well for that cut too.

Are you talking about a cutting tool? if so, you could grind the ⅝" down to 9/16.
Yes, something like this ideally.
All I have is a 6" dewalt grinder, no tool post grinder.
2400202.jpg

Last edited:
How would you do that with a 6" grinder? Freehand it?
Tks
You wouldn't. At least not without some resuscitation from Harold Hall. Tried any other supply houses or ebay?

I am a little confused at what you are trying to do. Are you trying to cut a 1/8 high slot that is 9/16 wide? If so why can't you use a 1/2 by 1/8 cutter? Why does the cutter have to be 9/16?

I am a little confused at what you are trying to do. Are you trying to cut a 1/8 high slot that is 9/16 wide? If so why can't you use a 1/2 by 1/8 cutter? Why does the cutter have to be 9/16?
The pocket has to be an arc, a 1/2" cutter would make an oblong. The undersize cutter would be a bit tricky with a rotary table, but be doable.

Too bad the OP has no tool post grinder on hand, though that still might not be easy unless he has developed the second sight for cutter geometry. I think if one is able to hand grind a small internal groove boring bar, it would be no different to hand grind a similar D-bit milling cutter to the needed dimensions. Best done in a fixture, it will challenge your freehand skills, but should not be impossible. In this hobby, we often have to make a tool to make a tool. Or in this case, make a tool to make a tool to make loaded cartridges.

Back