T-slot cutter questions

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys.

I don't have experience in using T-slot cutters and have a couple of questions.

I am using BMS to make a QCTP attachment and need to make a T-slot. I have a 8mm cutter. My questions is,what is the ideal rpm? Do you climb mill or conventional mill? What should the dept of cut be? And should the cutter touch at the bottom or not. Any extra advise would be appreciated.

Thank you
Michael

Of course, a slot is first made with an end mill or other cutter to finished width, then the tee slot cutter is centered in the slot, flush with the bottom of the slot, and the cut is made, cutting on both sides of the slot at once, in effect, climb milling on one side and conventional milling on the other; the diameter of the tee slot cutter defines the width of the tee slot, although, some slight adjustment of the tee slot cutter on either side of the center of the tee a lot is possible, but not much, as the shank of tee slot cutter is not much smaller than the slot itself.

Hi Suzuki4evr,
When you say you have a 8mm cutter ist this for a 8mm stud? If so the standard width for the slot is 10mm. The total depth is 17-21mm. The width of the top of the 'T' is 16-18mm and the depth of the top of the 'T' is 7-8mm.
I cut basically as benmychree says. Run a 10mm slot cutter through to the required depth then center and follow through with the T-slot cutter.
Speed would be about 440 - 550 for 80 ft/min and 100 ft/min surface speed respectively. Adjust as fit. NOTE: Chips are cutter killers so running a vacuum and blowing or flushing with coolant is a must.

Of course, a slot is first made with an end mill or other cutter to finished width, then the tee slot cutter is centered in the slot, flush with the bottom of the slot, and the cut is made, cutting on both sides of the slot at once, in effect, climb milling on one side and conventional milling on the other; the diameter of the tee slot cutter defines the width of the tee slot, although, some slight adjustment of the tee slot cutter on either side of the center of the tee a lot is possible, but not much, as the shank of tee slot cutter is not much smaller than the slot itself.
Hi benmychree.

I get what you are saying, but the application is not for a t-nut,but for a QCTP attachment, so the T-gap so to speak is too far appart for the cutter to be cutting at both sides simultaneously. So must I go full depth or less,making a cupple of passes?

Take a piece of paper and draw what you need to do. QCTP attachment? Is this holding a QCTP down onto a compound slide or mount? Pencil and paper are the quickest way to sort out a strategy to arrive at an endpoint.

I might have named it wrong,it is a QCTP Tool holder,but here it is.
20180704_103112.jpg
20180704_103102.jpg
20180704_103200.jpg
Hope this will give an idea.

I would say cut the center section with a conventional end mill, then take .020-.050 per pass on the sides depending on your mill. No real need to take it all at once. Mike

Back