T8 LED Upgrade Question

Shopsweeper

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Some time ago (2016?) I stumbled on to some cheap (at the time) LED T8 bulbs in a Fastenal clearance rack that some stores have by the door.

These were Cree branded bulbs 18w, 4000 temp. Kind of oval shaped. I only got 2 of them. Then I found an AMZ warehouse deal on some other brand of a 5000k temp and I bought 4 of these.

Both sets of these are the type were you Remove the ballast and power only one end of the bulb with power and neutral. So, this necessitates non-shunted tombstones.

I used these lights to upgrade 3 of my shops 2-bulb T8 fixtures to LED. Using the 4000k and the 5000k in the same fixture side-by-side gives me a nice color balance.

Now that these LED upgrade bulbs have become much cheaper ($5 a light and not $15) I am thinking about doing the rest of my shop.

Question: Should I keep down the path of replacing my tombstones and disconnecting my ballasts (like Hyperikon for example) OR should I opt for some of the no-change bulbs that let you leave the ballast in place (like a Phillips brand)?

In other words do you think its important to keep my shop fixtures "The same" wiring wise for the sake of some poor soul down the road?

I've replaced all the tubes in my garage and most of them in my shop with LED's, and all of them have the ballasts removed.
I think somebody posted the fact that with ballasts in, you don't gain as much energy efficiency as with them out, but I can't
swear to it. In part I did it that way because if the ballast fails down the road it might be necessary to change the bulb or
add a new ballast. In any case, if they last as long as they say, I probably won't be around to care. :)

I think not being around is the key to my question! Having closed down the shops of both my father and grandfather in the last decade I am keenly aware that my shop may outlive me.

I might make some "explanation" labels for the fixtures I have modified and keeping going with the modified fixtures. Those bulbs seems to be cheaper on the whole, and the ballast drawing current for no reason makes perfect sense - better to take it out.

I've been buying mine from Home Depot, and they come with an "explanation" label.

I started replacing mine a few years ago when ballasts started to fail in my garage. The LED's
were cheaper than the replacement ballasts.

Disconnect the old ballasts. Better yet, just remove them. Why? Because the old reactance and cheap electronic ones have been known to get hot and cause a fire. I first went to T8s and now slowly converting to LEDs. I like the old fixtures because they are made out of nice heavy sheet metal instead of this thin foil garbage. Also added a plug-in so I can I can daisy chain them since the LEDs use so little current.

We are having 275 2x4 hi bays replaced this week coming. Going to take a few weeks to complete! The electrician is replacing the ballast with something new that entails keeping the tombstones. I asked why not replace without and he stated that there was a concern of replacing the bulbs later with possibly 120 volt coming to contact with the sheet metal. I hope to revisit this topic with him Monday or Tuesday, as I will likely have to maintain them.

Thank you all, I will plan on removing the ballasts on the rest like I did on the first 3 fixtures.
I mocked up a label in Publisher and I will glue (3M 77) and tape this on the fixtures as I upgrade them.

I ordered some LED bulbs from AMZ, if the unrest calms down enough for shipping I should get this project done evenings next week.

Have you got a part number to go with the Cree's?
I looked through amazon today because the 16w Toggled I picked up at home depot does not seem any brighter than my GE T8's.
I didn't see any Cree's at all.
Some time ago (2016?) I stumbled on to some cheap (at the time) LED T8 bulbs in a Fastenal clearance rack that some stores have by the door.

These were Cree branded bulbs 18w, 4000 temp. Kind of oval shaped. I only got 2 of them. Then I found an AMZ warehouse deal on some other brand of a 5000k temp and I bought 4 of these.

Both sets of these are the type were you Remove the ballast and power only one end of the bulb with power and neutral. So, this necessitates non-shunted tombstones.

I used these lights to upgrade 3 of my shops 2-bulb T8 fixtures to LED. Using the 4000k and the 5000k in the same fixture side-by-side gives me a nice color balance.

Now that these LED upgrade bulbs have become much cheaper ($5 a light and not $15) I am thinking about doing the rest of my shop.

Question: Should I keep down the path of replacing my tombstones and disconnecting my ballasts (like Hyperikon for example) OR should I opt for some of the no-change bulbs that let you leave the ballast in place (like a Phillips brand)?

In other words do you think its important to keep my shop fixtures "The same" wiring wise for the sake of some poor soul down the road?

I can pull one down tomrrow and look, but I can't them see in in my Fastenal order history.

I might make some "explanation" labels for the fixtures
As stated above by Nogoingback, the bulbs I bought came with labels.
Hyperikon 6000k. At first, they were TOO white. As time went on, I came to appreciate the color.
Going forward, I feel sure that I will need all the white and bright I can get. Flourescents in my Buddy's shop are dingy yellow now.

Back