Table Auto Feed operation

P3Stoker

Registered
Registered
G'day All,
I'm chasing info on operating a series 1 auto table feed. I've scrolled the forums and you tube but can't find the answers.
I've just acquired the mill plus lathe, surface grinder, power hacksaw and heaps of other gear and accessories, in fact a full truck load transported interstate. Shed to shed move some 1000 miles so a big job indeed.
Dad kept his machines in good condition but did tell me to look over the one shot lube system which I am doing. I'm just conducting a quick check of all the controls and I can't get the table auto feed to operate. It's been a VERY long time since I've operated any machines, and I haven't operated this particular machine. wondering if I've missed something obvious?
I've done the following;
Main power switch on electrical control box is on.
power switch on the forward smaller control box is on.
head and table feed switches ON.
Speed selector dial Is fully anti clockwise.

Operating the table feed levers left and right does nothing. Appreciate any advice/comments/thoughts.

Kind regards

Need more info . Pics ?

If it's a servo drive , there is usually a switch on the bottom of the unit itself .

Ok thanks. It's original fit auto drive, gearbox to the right side of the table, travel lever for L and R operates/attaches to the top of this gearbox and the motor hangs down at 45 ish deg behind the gearbox. Fairly sure there are no other switches that would affect control, but I'll go have a quick look.

Try changing the positon of the speed dial? it could be "off" the way you have it.

Make sure your coupling is intact also . If your motor spins and your gearbox isn't ........................

Just had another look and certainly no other switches. I am going of the manual to identify the various switches on the control box, as the little diagrams don't really do much for me. I have tried moving the speed dial but there are switch combinations I might not have tried, which I will do now. I believe the head switch needs to be on but the table feed switch is 3 position, centre off, up and down possibly select different things, but again, I can't really work out their little diagrams. I'll go have another play.
regards

OK so with the left/right engage lever selected, as I turn the rate of feed knob I can hear the electrical currant/motor noise, the more the knob is turned the more noise, but no movement of the table. Interestingly though with the lever engaged the rapid feed button makes the table move, but at moderate speed only. I'm lost??
MMCMDL, how do I check the coupling is intact? I don't think the motor is spinning, except when using the rapid feed switch as described.

Yes Bob the table is unlocked. As described above the auto feed doesn't seem to work as it should using the rate control knob, and engagement lever selected, but then the rapid feed button does work, although not at full rapid pace I suspect. I don't know if the table handles can be used with the auto feed system as they currently just free spin?

Yes Bob the table is unlocked. As described above the auto feed doesn't seem to work as it should using the rate control knob, and engagement lever selected, but then the rapid feed button does work, although not at full rapid pace I suspect. I don't know if the table handles can be used with the auto feed system as they currently just free spin?

Sounds like something is slipping. Rapid traverse may be making enough friction to move it. It might be a pin or key came out of a gear. Did you push in on table handle when trying to move table manually? You should be able to see notches where handle engages. Probably cant turn table handle with power feed engaged, it must be in neutral unless something is loose or broken. Not much help, just some ideas.
Chuck

Back