Table movement

Abowie

Registered
Registered
At the extremes of both the X and Y axis I am finding that winding the wheel becomes harder and jerky. Is this normal?

I have cleaned the ways and lubricated them via the oil ports with 30 weight oil (ISO 68).

Do I need to investigate this further of will it settle with time?

Thanks

Andrew

Is this a new machine? Is this a Bridgeport knee mill or clone?
Richard King told me my table was warped when I asked the same question.

My newer Sharp mill has even drag over the entire length of travel. It was one of the first things I checked when I bought it.
Also, measure the travel or wear or looseness of the table (gibs) by pushing and pulling on the table while watching a dial indicator.

My 2 cents based on experience with my old worn out Bridgeport.

My Enco RF-30 did that until I thought to squirt some way oil on the ends of the X lead screw I could get to under the table. I finally pulled and cleaned the X and Y lead screws which the old grease was filthy and caked and re greased them. Not perfect but very acceptable and the most drag was at the very extreme ends where I don't use it anyway. The back lube port is kind of a joke as you can only get at them when the table is at either end of the travel. I shoot it on either end and the front at least three different positions.

I took the table apart cleaned the screws, cleaned and tightened the brass nuts and installed a shim washer on x travel hand wheel and it really helped. I greased the screws not sure if that's a good thing to do but it's an rf-30 also so I'm not sure how perfect it going to get but im real happy with it. Good luck I personally like this mill but it's the only one I have ever had lol

My apologies.

This is a brand new ZX-40A which I think is a knock off of a RF45. I am still setting it up and haven't even connected power to it yet.

Any general advice on commissioning would be welcome too. I am not new to machining but I am new to this mill.Looks like this

Last edited:
Wonder if you have cosmoline or some kind of preservative on the ways etc? Most times the only way to remove it is disassembly.

I would agree with removing the table and cleaning out any debris in the nuts and the leadscrews. This will also allow you to make sure everything is lubed adequately. You should also make sure the leadscrew nuts are locked down as they should be.

The X-axis leadscrew is anchored on either end by supports with thrust bearings inside. There should be little, if any major resistance at the ends. My suggestion is to adjust the gib so it just runs smoothly in the middle of the travel, then loosen the screws on each of the leadscrew supports and then re-tighten them. This should remove any tension in the leadscrew. Then see what happens when you turn the hand wheels.

My Enco RF-30 did that until I thought to squirt some way oil on the ends of the X lead screw I could get to under the table. I finally pulled and cleaned the X and Y lead screws which the old grease was filthy and caked and re greased them. Not perfect but very acceptable and the most drag was at the very extreme ends where I don't use it anyway. The back lube port is kind of a joke as you can only get at them when the table is at either end of the travel. I shoot it on either end and the front at least three different positions.
OK thanks I'll give that a try. The way it feels it might be as simple as part of the radius of the screw being sticky or not lubricated.

Back