Table Oilers for G&E 16" Shaper

I have serviced many G&E gear hobbers. As manufacturers go, the quality was exceptional.

Their typical oiling systems used copper tubing throughout. They would crimp the ends in places to restrict the oil flow to an area at times.

It should be clear in the service manual if the driven sheave drives the oil pump directly, or if it's on the first shaft. Their hobbers did not run the oil pump from the sheave.

If I were to buy a shaper today, I'd be looking for one like yours. Nice machine

The fact that there is oil emulsion in the reservoir tells me that they didn't service it, maybe ever. Check your oil lines for leaks and areas where the copper is wasted.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I have a 20-24 G&E industrial universal shaper, dates to late 1950s; it has the same oiling system as yours; the pinched down tubes deliver oil to the wells and the surplus runs back into the base through the standpipes in the center, and wool wicking is used, pushed into the holes that lead to the ram ways; pack more into the holes to reduce the amount of oil delivered. On mine, I am relatively sure that the pump runs all the time the motor is running. Mine has an electric clutch / electric brake instead of the normal mechanical friction clutch.
A 20 /24 is basically a 24" stroke on a 20" frame machine, thus, lighter and less bulky than a straight 24. I assume you have the clear plastic covers that cover the oil pockets?

I have a 20-24 G&E industrial universal shaper, dates to late 1950s; it has the same oiling system as yours; the pinched down tubes deliver oil to the wells and the surplus runs back into the base through the standpipes in the center, and wool wicking is used, pushed into the holes that lead to the ram ways; pack more into the holes to reduce the amount of oil delivered. On mine, I am relatively sure that the pump runs all the time the motor is running. Mine has an electric clutch / electric brake instead of the normal mechanical friction clutch.
A 20 /24 is basically a 24" stroke on a 20" frame machine, thus, lighter and less bulky than a straight 24. I assume you have the clear plastic covers that cover the oil pockets?

I am missing a few of the plastic sites that cover the oil pockets and will have to make some. Most of the oil pockets were missing the packing, the packing that was there are just strips of cloth. Thank you for the info that the wicking should be wool. Do you have any info on the layout to oil the vertical and horizontal ways for the table movement? One wiper holder is missing with just a rubber hose with a copper tube in the end just flopping loose on the table.

I'm working on the motor and wiring, hopefully it wont be too long before I see is this runs.

Thanks again for your help and info.

Mike

I have the manual for mine; I will see if we can scan the relevant pages and send to you.
Send me a PM with your e mail address.
John York york@napanet,net

Thank you John for the great offer. I really appreciate it.

email on it's way

Back