Table Oilers for G&E 16" Shaper

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
I have a G&E 16" "Industrial" Shaper that I need to get back into service. Someone cut the electricals from the motor to the shaper, but that will be a different can of worms.
I just dipped out 5+ gallons of what looks like motor oil from the base of the shaper and plan on refilling with diesel fuel to clean out all the lines etc. To get to the point: On the rear section of the table there are 2-oilers, the one on the right has a hose coming out the top with a copper tube that has been crimped shut. Can anyone let me know how the lubrication for this part of the shaper is supposed to be run?
You can see the access hole that is on the back side of the table support, it has a hose going into the main base of the shaper and is attached to the oil system. What is marked Left Oiler is directly above this area with the rubber hose w/crimped off copper end. At this point I would just want to get the shaper running. Paint etc. will be well down the road.

Mike

BOTH TABLE OILERS.jpg REAR TABLE ACCESS HOLE.jpg CENTER OILER.jpg

LEFT OILER.jpg

Last edited:
If I had to guess, they crimp off the end of the tubing with a very small opening that would allow a small drip directed to the column way. Unfortunatly, this stuff gets damaged and removed over years of abuse and neglect and never gets fixed. Is there a oil pump some where on the machine that feeds this line as well as other lines on the shaper? How about some more pictures? Ken

Wondering if the GE lube diagram on the attached might help?

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• GE Shaper Manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Ken, let me know what additional photos would you like to see and I'll try to get them.
Daryl, I've not see that manual before, thank you for posting. I don't see this area in the lube diagram, it appears to me that they are more concerned with lubing the ram.

Ken's comments made me wonder. I originally thought that the hose with the crimped copper tube on the end was something that was added; but now MAYBE there should be a similar hose with copper tube in the center lube location that is now missing. each hose/tube is to lube the vertical column. This idea looks like it would make sense.
Am I/we on the right track?

thanks again guys for helping me out; keep the ideas coming.

Mike

I was thinking pictures of the oil pump, junction station where all of the oil lines branch out from. The oil filter, unless its a Cunio filter.

The manual Daryl posted only shows oil cups at these locations. I wonder if this was a factory update or if it was something that someone added over the years?

I'm working this weekend so can't do anything in the garage. What is a Cunio Filter?

I'm working this weekend so can't do anything in the garage. What is a Cunio Filter?
It's a mechanical filtering unit that is operated by turning a handle mounter on the unit. The Cunio unit is mounted flush on the machine housing, somewhere. I'll see if I can find a picture of one. Ken

I finished draining the oil and found a thick whitish goop on the bottom. I tried to loosen it up by adding diesel. Here are some photos

oil filter- pump 2.jpg

I think this is the filter attached to a housing that I assume has the pump.

top of pump, oil galley.jpg shaper filter-pump1.jpg
If you look to the right of the chain you can get a glimpse of the top of the box that I assume is the pump housing. You can see a fitting with a copper oil line.
The diesel broke up a lot of the "goop" I think I need to use a more aggressive solvent but I don't want to take a chance on damaging anything. Any advice?

Run some Naptha thru there followed by more diesel or mineral spirits. Your not going to get it completely clean. Boy! If that pump goes down, that would be a nightmare to pull!

Back