Table Oilers for G&E 16" Shaper

White goop is likely water in oil suspension. If interested in determining you can just heat it above water boiling point. Water leaves and oil is left

If water is in the system maybe try some alcohol to dry it out

Good luck

I agree that the white goop is water in suspension. The diesel emulsified a lot of it and I was able to vacuum it out. What is left seems to be either semi hardened or sticky. I want to get as much if not all of it out before turning the shaper over by hand. I don't want to take a chance of picking up any of this crap and clogging the pump/filter or lines. I don't know how many years this machine sat in a museum's unheated RR shop unused and unloved. I've had it for a few years myself---no excuses for not getting this up an running sooner. I am considering jacking up the rear of the shaper and putting a gallon or so of solvent in the sump and letting gravity help bring the goop away from the pump.
Please keep the ideas coming.

Mike

If it was me. I would fill the sump with diesel/ kerosene and just let it sit, a couple weeks or so. Then I would pick my favorite degreaser and wash it out. Pump all the water out and then another kerosene wash

Last edited:
Just to give a little update, sump is soaking in Diesel. I'll let it go a few more days before trying to scrub the crud out.
I rearranged some machines in the garage today. That shaper is one heavy son of a gun to move single handedly.

Mike

Reach down in there with a long metal prob. Maybe something made out of 5/16 rod with a small bent scraper ground, bent or beat into the end. You can scrape a lot of crud loose this way and scoop it out. Also, I often stuff pieces of oil absorbent towel down into crevices and scrape, probe, otherwise finesse this kind of junk free from oil sumps. Sometimes a long flat head screwdriver works just as well. Always flush a couple of times with diesel to drain/soak it up with absorbant pads. Works great usually!

Running the machine with a diesel flush for 15 -30 seconds also cleans a lot of junk out of gears and assorted machined surfaces.

Glenn

Glen, Great minds think alike :)
Yesterday after I moved this beast to the get it in a better position for use and wiring it up to 3-phase and was looking around for various implements to do just as you suggest.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know if the oil pump will pump when the trans is in neutral???
In the manual that Daryl (Uglydog) posted it seems to say that the ram must be moving to the pump to operate, this manual is from the 1930's. On the other hand, the 1960's Army manual for Mitts & Merrill machines appears to say to power up the shaper in neutral until you have oil at the ram sight windows.
Can anyone identify the year built from the serial number? G& E serial #3206A4

Mike

not to long ago i opened restrictors on a surface grinder using (Krano Kroil penetrating oil) the best stuff in the world

I would guess the machines hydraulic driven. Not mechanical? That would be the only reason to run it and let it warm up the oil and get it pumping thru the lines. Pretty sure your pump will only work when the rams moving. Did you turn the motor on and Ck for oil in the lines? More pictures of the whole machine may help.

I would guess the machines hydraulic driven. Not mechanical? That would be the only reason to run it and let it warm up the oil and get it pumping thru the lines. Pretty sure your pump will only work when the rams moving. Did you turn the motor on and Ck for oil in the lines? More pictures of the whole machine may help.
This is definitely a mechanical shaper, not hydraulic. The electricals have been cut is several places. So, no cannot attempt a start yet. I wanted to clean decades of dirt and grime off of everything prior to trying to run it.

I'm going to let it soak a while longer and try to get in under the gears and shafts to pull all the trash out and then I'll find a way to fire it up for testing.

Back