[Newbie] Table refurbish.

rr94lowe

Registered
Registered
Hi all I'm new to this forum and pretty new to the machining game...
Got given a centec 2a some years ago and it's not in great condition, particularly the bed/table.
Just wondered if anything can ce done with it? Thanks
43b68f140cdf5808256b4a3e7ee6d66d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a pic , search using tapatalk it should tell you how to make pics work here not the red x
Not sure what a centec 2a is
Thanks

Hi all I'm new to this forum and pretty new to the machining game...
Got given a centec 2a some years ago and it's not in great condition, particularly the bed/table.
Just wondered if anything can ce done with it? Thanks
43b68f140cdf5808256b4a3e7ee6d66d.jpg

The pics with the red X can often be seen by clicking the "reply" button. That table looks like it was declared to be sacrificial, cut right through the work into the table! It is difficult to repair damage like that, and the repair can warp the table. I would find a piece of ground steel plate to bolt down over the top of it and then mount stuff to the plate.

Sometimes the issue is using Tapatalk and using the paper clip to post. There is another way to post them from Tapatalk that often seems to work here, but I am not familiar with it.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/centec/ Centec 2a near the bottom of the page...

Welcome to Hobby Machinist!

Thanks for the replies so far... I think I've uploaded a photo the correct way now!
I suppose I'll have to keep an eye out for a second hand bed then

Ouch: that's a shame, to use that table Bobs suggestion would be best after removing any high spots.
Or for that matter 3/4" mdf wood would kinda work too , guess it depends what your wanting to do.

Bugger! As you guys would say . Those 2As' are nice looking I would try to get another bed , that would probably be difficult . My plan "B" would be put a vice on it and cover up the rest with maybe some Aluminum we used to do that to keep the "T" slots clean . Good luck nice machine .

What Bob said.

Tosa Tool (http://www.tosatool.com/modular-fixturing/ )makes a fixturing plate which many people are putting on the pristine tables. If you put accurately located dowel pin holes in the table to mate with the plate, the plate can be accurately repositioned as required for your job.

@rr94lowe

Welcome to the group!

It is really a shame some people abuse tools like that. What a waste.
Sometimes that can be a sign that the previous owner didn't care about the machine and abused/neglected it in other ways too.
Hopefully that's not the case for you!

-brino

Back