Table Saw Safety Project

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
For some time, I've been thinking about adding some kind visual indication to the rip fence on the table saw to help keep
my hands away from the blade. Naturally I didn't get around to it until my son used the saw the other day for a project.
10 bucks at my local metals supplier got me a strip of aluminum sheared to the correct dimensions, a couple of bolts and
spacers and some red paint was all that was needed. I told my kid the red stripe is the ER zone...

IMG_0846.jpg

Why not spray the blade plate red considering its the part directly around the blade?

As teenager, I had forty stitches due to a table saw blade. I am extra cautious when using my saw.
When I am ripping, I hook my fingers over the rip fence to help prevent from being drawn into the blade. I also use the crosscut slot for that purpose.

I hate passing my finger between the blade and the rip fence. I have seen vertical feather boards used to prevent this. I may have to see if I can install one. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3" width I start to get nervous!
Robert

I have a tool (don't know what it's called) that mounts to the table with a magnet and pushes the work towards the fence. Is
that a feather board? It works well, but at some point the board pops out and the last 8 inches or so has to be done by hand.
About that time I switch to pulling the work through from the other side. I do the same thing as RJ: I hook my fingers over
the fence.

I've always been vigilant around the saw, but watching my kid the other day made me nervous. He is careful though: he was
with me at the ER when I fed my hand into the router table.

Check out the Gripper I believe it is called. It has two legs and can pass over the blade. I have two and use them almost every cut.

My dad taught me how to run a table saw when I was a kid. I still have the saw and all ten fingers.

I also have the original Sears blade guard (plastic that goes over the blade while cutting with a hinge for the stock to push it out of the way. I never use it, any cut that even makes me nervous I use a push stick. Also stand to the side in case of a kickback.

Teach your son to respect the tool and he will do just fine.

Visual aids and guards are good but IMHO your mind and some basic safety training are really what's needed to stay safe in the shop. Practice safety yourself and he will pick up on it better than any lecture could do.

Great to hear the next generation in your family is using tools, it really needs to be taught at home now that so many shop programs are gone from the schools.

John

I have a plastic tool that serves as a push stick now. I bought it after I got back from the ER when I had the router event.
When it happened, I actually had a note lying on the toolbox that said "make a push stick". :)

Back