Table twists during moving of the saddle and or pulling on table extremes.

expressline99

Registered
Registered
So my table has a twisting action that can be repeated by moving the saddle in and out. If I lock the saddle there is no movement. This can also be repeated by pushing and pulling on opposite ends of the table. This is to the point of hearing it "click" as it hits the range of "twist". I have adjusted the gib all the way in that makes Zero difference. As well, Moving the saddle all the way in towards the column doesn't change it...or all the way out away from the column.

To me this seems like a completely worn out gib. But maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly?

How should I approach this?

Paul

Does the saddle not get harder or easier to move when you adjust the gib?

Tom

A dumb question but are you sure that you are adjusting in the right direction? (Not as dumb as it sounds. Two years ago, during a maintenance smeinar at the Tormach open house, the presenter had it backwards. It took a photograph to convince him and they subsequently corrected the user manual.)

A dumb question but are you sure that you are adjusting in the right direction? (Not as dumb as it sounds. Two years ago, during a maintenance smeinar at the Tormach open house, the presenter had it backwards. It took a photograph to convince him and they subsequently corrected the user manual.)

Not a dumb question at all. I'm doing righty-tighty and it comes out if I lefty-loosey. I pulled the gib out a few minutes ago and it's worn on the ends not in the middle. The middle still shows scraping marks. But the wear is only about .005 off of the Ridge left behind that didn't wear. Hopefully the saddle ways aren't so shot I can't get rid of that. I should probably order some gauge pins large enough to measure that....

The clicking noise you are hearing is probably the gib riding up and catching on the .005" ridge and popping back in place. Take the gib and file down this ridge flush with the rest of the gib. Then take a oil stone and hone the surface slightly to make sure you removed all the of the ridge. Re-install and see if the clicking noise goes away.

I'm very sure you have lots of wear in the slide, but let's take it one step at a time. Also, are the ways on the cross slide of your knee chrome plated? of just bare iron?

The gib is purposely scraped out in the middle so it bears on the ends. This is the proper way to final fit a gib once it is scraped and fitted at the factory. It will be likewise on the saddle ways, too.

Back