[4]

!!Tablesaw kick back !!WARNING GROSS PICTURES

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Well my afternoon did not turn out quite as I had hoped.
I was ripping a short piece of 2x4 when right at the end of the cut it kicked back and hit me in the mouth and chin--knocked me right on my rear end:frown 2:Bleeding like a stuck pig.
There was nobody home except me so hopped in the truck and went to the clinic here in town and when they looked at it----said nothing they could do that I needed to go to the ER.
7 hrs later I am finally back home, with about 70 stitchesWife and daughter met me at the hospital.

cut.jpg cut1.jpg cut2.jpg

This picture is after a couple rounds of morphine---no pain!!!!!!

cut3.JPG

Last edited:

brav65

Active User
Wow that is horrible, sorry you got bitten. I lost the tip of my finger 10 years ago, it happens in the blink of an eye. I wish you a speedy recovery!

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Nasty!

The table saw is the one machine that I fear the most. Fifty-five years ago, I managed to mess up my right hand on a table saw. Forty stitches and a eight of an inch from my right thumb. I only had an 1/8th of an inch of exposed blade or it could have been much worse.

I hope the healing goes well.

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
That is a horrible accident!

It would be most helpful if you could post a photo of the actual workpiece, showing precisely how you were holding it in the saw when the kickback occurred. Might prevent the same thing happening to someone else.

mikey

Active User
That's a serious injury, John. Hoping you heal quickly.

dlane

Active User
Ouch, :eek:

jocat54

Active User
That is a horrible accident!

It would be most helpful if you could post a photo of the actual workpiece, showing precisely how you were holding it in the saw when the kickback occurred. Might prevent the same thing happening to someone else.
I"ll try to get a photo tomorrow-if I can find the piece--it was a short piece of 2x4 about 6 inches long and was ripping the 3 1/2 down to 3 1/16 using the rip fence (fence is dead on the money) was pushing the piece thru with hand draped over the fence

dlane

Active User
Ouch ,:eek:

chip maker

Registered
Registered
Sorry for pain that was really a bad hit and as always could have been a lot worse. I have a table saw also but years ago I purchased a set of magnetic hole downs that hold pieces tight to the fence and tight to the table. These were not cheep but they have been very good and work well. They are called Grip-Tite Guide they are made in NM by Mesa Vista Design. A little late now but may be something to look into for the future. I have cut pieces less than a quarter in. with no problems. Good luck with the healing !!!!

BFHammer

John,

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Thanks also for sharing, safety is something we all need to keep at the top of our mind.

About 20 years ago shortly after I had gotten into woodworking I was ripping a large number of slats on the tablesaw. Each one was about an inch wide and 3/8 inch thick. One grabbed between the blade and the fence and fired back into the concrete block was about 12 feet behind the saw. Fortunately I was standing to the side but that piece of hard maple took a chunk out of the block about the size of a small egg. I have no doubt it could have impaled me had I been in its path. I never repaired the block until I moved - but I think about that every time I set up to make a cut on the tablesaw.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and out in the shop again soon!

Mark

wawoodman

himself, himself
Bad stuff. Glad it wasn't worse.

Feel better soon.

markba633csi

Good thing it didn't hit you in the eye at least. I much prefer metal working to using table saws. Get better soon. Good halloween pictures! Night of the living dead! LOL
Mark S.

amsoilman

Amsoilman
Registered
Got a piece of plywood to the groin area 2 years ago. Area still swollen no pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I"ll try to get a photo tomorrow-if I can find the piece--it was a short piece of 2x4 about 6 inches long and was ripping the 3 1/2 down to 3 1/16 using the rip fence (fence is dead on the money) was pushing the piece thru with hand draped over the fence
Feel better. As a woodworker I really understand. I got hit a couple of times. After the last I went and bought a welders apron at HF to prevent a puncture in the torso.
Even if your fence is on the money, sometimes the piece releases pent up forces and springs, either inward or outward.
you are very lucky, you were not knocked out and drop to the table and get cut by the blade.
I have a gripper, and also made a whole set of push blocks. I like the type that I can bear down on in case I feel a lift. If I do, then I hit the shutoff. It's not a sure way to avoid the kickback, but it's an option. I don't use a guard like most of us. Some of them would have prevented it from flying up, most wouldn't , they would just deflect it.
Even a Saw Stop would not have prevented that kick back.
Hope your recovery is fast, and painless. I think you will feel numb for a year or two, and might always have a fuzzy feeling around there. Hopefully not.. Good luck.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I’m so very sorry. I think we are all thankful that it did not happen any higher up on your face.

strantor

Active User
Registered
oh, damn. That's no minor injury. Sorry that happened, but thank's for sharing.

core-oil

Active User
Registered
Sorry to see your accident, It looks really horrible and gives me the creeps thinking on what happened to you, Nasty occurances happen in a split second, and it could be any of us, What happens to a fellow member to all of us is a sad occurence, We in this little forum are a band of brothers. you take care and get better soon.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Short pieces make mean missiles , ouch, hope you heal quickly . Only way to cut shorts is with a large sled to keep the pressure down the table.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Wow John, That's gotta hurt (before the morphine anyway).

Eating is going to be a chore for a while, try to keep your strength up, maybe some of those meal replacement shakes?

I appreciate you sharing this with everyone.
We all need safety to be top of mind.
I wish you a speedy recovery.

-brino

bfd

Staff member
years ago I was cutting a small piece of plywood on my new (used) table saw my old table saw was underpowered and would stall if I did something wrong my new saw is 5 hp triple v belt drive it doesn't stall my mistake was cutting a small piece of plywood 5x7" in which the 5 inch width was held against the fence and was cutting the 7 in. length and it kicked back and hit me square in the stomach. this knocked me back in the air about 3 feet. I remember seeing me feet in the air as I flew back. I had a 5" by 7" bruise and a very stinging stomach. what I learned was not to cut with a fence a piece that is longer than it was wide against the fence use the miter gauge. I was lucky that the board hit me flat (or mostly) or it would have gone right through me. I did have one corner poke into me and bleed a little. woodworking equipment is more dangerous than metal working equipment in my opinion. I still woodwork and machine at home. hope you get well soon and hope you get back on the horse. bill

tq60

Registered
Registered
Blade and fence alignment critical plus push by top pressure on front part of board to avoid it turning sideways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

bfd

Staff member
yes this is true my blade and fence was within.002 of the miter slot. my message of not cutting a piece wider than long ( in smaller sizes) still stands. lucky to be alive. this rule comes from a cabinet making book I have not my own. bill

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
Ouch! Even with a properly adjusted fence crooked wood can get you in trouble. Unfortunately that mean all 2x lumber is suspect. I have luckily not been hurt but I did have a board kick back and go through a garage door window. It was also ripping a short piece of 2x4. Scared the $4!+ out of me!

Hope you heal quickly!

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Blade and fence alignment critical plus push by top pressure on front part of board to avoid it turning sideways.

AND blade height has a lot to do with it too.
For ply we cut low so it doesn't splinter the veneer down on the way out. But with solid wood it's a good idea to go higher. A) for clearing the gullets, but B) because you want the blade cutting down into the table which also helps prevent the kick back by cutting down rather than toward you.. (this doesn't prevent it, but it helps, and it makes it easier to push. I always rip with my blade as High as I can, and always have a home made splitter in to avoid the internal stresses from pinching the blade.

tq60

Registered
Registered
For small chunks a sled works and for others we would use the miter slider and place a small block on the fence as a reference point.

Hold in miter and touch off the block then make the cut without the material touching anything except the miter.

That was a nasty reminder that the tools do not respect the operators.

BGHansen

Well my afternoon did not turn out quite as I had hoped.
I was ripping a short piece of 2x4 when right at the end of the cut it kicked back and hit me in the mouth and chin--knocked me right on my rear end:frown 2:Bleeding like a stuck pig.
There was nobody home except me so hopped in the truck and went to the clinic here in town and when they looked at it----said nothing they could do that I needed to go to the ER.
7 hrs later I am finally back home, with about 70 stitchesWife and daughter met me at the hospital.

View attachment 235048 View attachment 235049 View attachment 235050

This picture is after a couple rounds of morphine---no pain!!!!!!

View attachment 235058
Big pit in my stomach for you . . . Godspeed recovery. On the plus side you are alive, but shaken. Probably something you've done on the saw 1000 times before with no problems. Hopes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Bruce

jocat54

Active User
Thanks for all the good wishes.

A little update--only getting worse--I wear partial dentures and the impact bent the uppers on the onto the anchor tooth. I knew my teeth were hurting and loose but thought they might tighten up with time. Anyhow with a lot of work and pain I finally got the uppers out and wake up this morning with the tooth laying in my mouth :confusion:
I knew at some point I would end up with full dentures but it's a little sooner than I wanted:guilty: Think I might have some damage to lower teeth but no way can I see a dentist yet.

Last edited:

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Man you've got my prayers! Hang tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfd

Staff member
yes I never have my blade 1/8" above my wood. along with hurting me I ruined a new blade ( knock off 2 carbide teeth) and totaled the table insert. plus hurt my feelings bill

Eddyde

Registered
Registered
Ouch! Sorry to see that happened to you. Hope you get through it as painlessly as possible.
I lost the tip of a finger and severely cut two others, from a kickback. I blame complacency in my case.

[6]
[5] [7]